Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Peg Loom/fleece - updated with pic  (Read 24371 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Peg Loom/fleece - updated with pic
« on: December 23, 2012, 07:13:04 am »
I think (hope) that OH has got me a peg loom for christmas.
Yesterday afternoon there was a woman on tv making a peg loom rug. She just pulls lumps from the raw fleece, twiddles them round a bit and then winds them in and out of the pegs to make a rug. It looked fairly simple and I am sure I can manage that but what about washing?
If you want to see for yourself this is the iplayer link and its about 16.5 minutes through the programme.
https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/holiday-home-sweet-home/series-1/episode-20-3
I can't imagine that you can wash the rug easily once made so although she said its just as it came off the sheep do you think she washed the whole fleece beforehand?
Sally

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:19:55 pm by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Peg Loom/fleece
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 07:59:05 am »
Sally, I read about making rugs this way after I had discarded what I thought 12 totally unusable cotted Heb fleeces. ::)  According to Ravellers, you can do it with strips cut from the cotted mass, or from rovings which you may or may not have felted slightly or quite a lot, or from semi-rovings made by twisting chunks of fleece, just as you describe.  So now I know what I can do with those 12 fleeces if I get given them again this year - please document your projects for us!  ;D

As to washing... I can't see why you couldn't wash the whole rug just as you would a fleece, provided you have equipment large enough to do so, including drying space.  I wash chunks at a time in a small washing-up bowl, can't do a whole fleece at once, would have to buy some bigger baskets - or not mind a bit of felting, which I guess with a rug you wouldn't in fact mind. 

But if she didn't mention it in the video then I imagine she'd washed the fleece before she started.  I guess you can do it either way.

Anyway,  :fc: you get what you wanted and have lots of adventures for us to share vicariously!   :excited:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 12:39:35 pm »
I don't think you would need to wash the fleece beforehand, unless it was very mucky.   It's easy enough to wash the rug afterwards, rolled up in the bath.  I don't have a bath ( ;D ) but I have an old dairy tin bath thing with a drain hole which I use for big woolly washes.  Just soak the rug for half an hour, then wash it gently, rolling and unrolling as you go.  Rinse and lay out to dry - mesh balanced on something (I use the topper) will keep it flat.  When nearly dry bring it indoors to air.

A bit of felting when you wash the finished rug would actually help it keep together and increase its strength.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 12:53:18 pm »
Admittedly it is over 20 years since I made a few ....The first I made was with unwashed wool and was such a heavy sod when I did come to wash it after weaving that I regretted not washing the fleece first...basically having condensed the wool it becomes tightly packed and really makes getting it thoroughly clean difficult. with more difficult to clean you are going to retain a lot more lanolin and sheepy scent.

For me personally washing the fleece and then fulling the rug, post weaving just worked best for indoor rugs.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 01:37:32 pm »
 I have been told to use raw fleece then wash the rug after it has been made as well. I have not got round to peg looming yet but I also like the idea of peg looming strips of carrier bag to make welly mats.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 01:46:16 pm »
Hermit,
The welly mats sound a good idea. I might try that first.
thanks
Sally

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 01:49:23 pm »
I have a very small peg loom, had it for 18 months, but not got round to using it yet. My son has just bought a pillar drill and is going to make me a bigger one so that I can have a go at making rugs.

Let us know how you get on Bionic.  :excited:

Make rag rugs at the moment but they take me a long time ..... only really find time to sit down once the children are in bed and that's getting later and later as they get older.  ::)  Need to change my routine and make more craft time.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 06:35:04 pm »
Peg loomed rugs are very easy and quick to do  :thumbsup: .   You'll be surprised just how quickly you can make one and they are sooo hard wearing and lovely to walk on.   
Fingers Crossed 'Santa' got the message  :innocent: :excited:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 10:28:17 pm »
If you plan to do your weaving in the house I would wash the fleece beforehand... otherwise that sheepy smell may just linger quite a bit... (but I really don't like to work with unwashed fleece, so maybe I am just oversensitive :-[ ).
I think I may just need to put a peg loom onto OH's to-manufacture-list, given that I didn't manage to shear my Gotland girls this autumn.... ???  and we always need rugs!

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 04:15:19 pm »
I've just done one recently. I washed the rug in the bath after weaving which was fine but it was very heavy. To dry it I put it in the spin only cycle in the washing machine inside a lingerie bag then hung it on a clothes horse.
This link has pics and details  www.hootershall.co.uk/category/blogspots/peg-loom

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 10:37:26 pm »
When I was weaving, one of my best sellers was the rugs I made from unspun, unwashed wool. I used a drum carder to make rolags then tore strips of the side and wove it onto a cotton warp, much as you would do on a peg loom.  They weren't huge, around 3 foot by 5 foot and were easy enougn to wash in a large bowl.  They then went into to washing machine for a short spin and were line dried.

I think I want a peg loom.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 08:40:13 am »
Cue ellisr - her hubby makes them...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 11:17:03 pm »
Oh I know.  I'd already thought of her.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 10:02:56 am »
 I got my peg loom although was slightly disappointed that OH didn't make it himself as promised. 
Still, its very nice and comes in its own bag.
Now that we are back home (were at my sisters for christmas) today is the day for 'playing' with out toys.
Can' t wait  :excited: :excited:
Sally

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 11:20:06 am »
Great  :thumbsup:   Impatiently awaiting pictures of results...  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS