Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: North Devon crafting groups  (Read 2949 times)

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
North Devon crafting groups
« on: October 19, 2013, 09:27:09 pm »
Hello Everyone  :wave:

Have been lurking in the background without much intervention for a long time, lots of things happened and with them a massive house move has come for me. I have gone from the Scottish Borders to North Devon!  :roflanim:

I am enjoying here so far, have only been a week but hope to settle (fingers crossed for new job starting on Mon!). This is a very rural community and was wondering if any fellow TASer is also nearby? And do you know of craft groups happening in the Barnstaple-Bideford-Ilfracombe area? I am mostly a knitter  :knit: but spin sometimes too ( :spin:).

Hope someone can help!  :idea:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: North Devon crafting groups
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:12:03 am »
No idea as I'm nowhere near you but I wanted to wish you well in  your new home and job.  :bouquet:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 07:43:47 am »
You have moved to a beautiful area full of wonderful warm folk  :)

I left the area 7 years ago so some of my info is likely to be out of date  ;)  And I'm sure others who are currently local will be along soon to tell you more and better.

In the meantime, my outdated suggestions would be:

Join DASH the Devon Smallholders group.  North Devon DASH used to be very active, and a super bunch of people.
Get yourself along to the Lynton Farmers' Market, there will be lots of crafty folk there you can tap into for local knowledge.
There used to be a place in the main shopping street in Ilfracombe had lots of crafty and eco-project folk and things
I think there's some sort of crafty place at Alta Lyn at Higher West Lyn - it used to be just Ann and her alpacas but I think there's more going on there now.

I had a look in the 'regular groups' listing on Ravelry but all the Devon ones are south Devon/Dartmoor, not North Devon.  I'm sure there will be some though  :)

Best of luck in your new life, new home and new job - I am a little bit envious, I was very happy in that area and in some ways miss it still.  Not least the lovely weather! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 05:13:09 pm »
Thank you MGM and Sally! Your lovely wishes are much appreciated and I really do hope it works out here. I loved my first week in the new job and the bosses are very supportive, so on paper all is well and should progress that way!  :)

Once I have a bit more spare time (spent all yesterday and today sorting out my new shiny vet van with containers etc), I shall definitely investigate Ilfracombe and the local farmers markets. I so look forward to the summer here! I'm going to give a bash to surfing too!  ;D

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 06:52:32 pm »
this may help you find a group:
http://www.directory.devon.gov.uk/kb5/devon/directory/home.page

Don't know where you are, pretty sure there's a spinning group in Holsworthy, not sure about knitting, but there's bound to be somewhere out there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS