Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Peg Loom/fleece - updated with pic  (Read 24338 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Peg Loom/fleece - updated with pic
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2013, 01:08:35 am »
I have a knitting pattern for making a bag out of carriers.

What I do wonder with peg looms is, how do you stop the weft from falling off the warp threads when it gets to the bottom? Or do you knot them in some one before you start weaving?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2013, 07:57:41 am »
I didn't knot mine until I had finished but I never pushed it right down to the end anyway.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2013, 11:11:55 am »
I knot my warp threads together in groups of three when I start. Started on my second rug last night, this time with skirted fleece and VM picked out  :-J. Going much better.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2013, 12:45:47 pm »
I've made a couple of fleece peg loom rugs , it's a great way of using up all the odds and ends of rougher fleece or that scratchy one that someone gave you for free and you don't really feel like spinning. I do always wash it first, even just good soak in cold water gets rid of a heck of a lot of dirt and grot. It's best in my experience to leave a bit of the lanolin in to help hold the staples together as you tease and twist them out a bit. I did try one using very roughly spun thick singles but it looked much the same at the end so not worth the extra effort. If you leave a little lanolin in the fibre then it makes the rug a little more dirt resistant, especially to spills. I only wash the rugs after a year or so, by that time the cats have needle felted them together a bit and there's no chance of the mat coming apart.

Little fleece make great seat cushions btw, I have one for my camping chair. (No lanolin left in that one, I don't want a greasy bum!) And I made a long seat cushion for each of my garden benches out of long rag strips torn from charity shop quilt covers, they look nice and fresh.

The usual knotting technique is to knot the first three threads together at the bottom, then in pairs across the width, then the last three. That knots one thread from each adjacent pair together and stops the weft slipping off the bottom if you pack hard down, this is more important for slippy cotton weft than fleece though. Fleece grips, especially if you use a wool warp.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2013, 03:23:23 pm »
Brilliant Isabella - I've been wanting to have a go at one of these for a while, now I feel I have enough info to have go!

That's the Christmas list sorted then...  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS