Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Potato peelings????  (Read 31804 times)

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
Re: Potato peelings????
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2009, 09:14:21 pm »
i was only joking dixie

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2009, 11:38:31 pm »
Fluffywelshsheep arrested for assault.....Relic arrested for a salt n' pepper  ;D

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2009, 11:50:41 pm »
my bacon is saltie enough thanks very much lol

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2009, 11:27:04 am »
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/by-prods/pdf/swill-leaflet.pdf

My guess is that most of those advocating 'bending' the rules weren't involved in livestock keeping in GB in 2001. Anyone so doing is threatening everybody else with livestock and should be reported to the authorities without hesitation.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2009, 12:18:50 pm »
you would not be very popular if you go reporting everyone. But if anyone was still feeding swill then that would need action. Did anyone see what the pig farmer in las vegas was feeding his pigs. Do we allow the USA to export pork to us if they do it would need looking at.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2009, 12:55:27 pm »
Am I right in thinking that the last but one outbreak of f&m was caused by monkey meat illegally imported in a suitcase from South Africa?  I assumed that sniffer dogs trained to sniff out drugs might have found some interest in meat

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2009, 01:44:20 pm »
no I'm sure it would turn out to be the high quality meat that we import from all over. its sad that our food supply is that risky that a pig can't eat it safely.

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2009, 06:16:09 pm »
No veggie waste from the house!!?
What a load of codswallop (not you) rather Defra,
Thankfully we grow our own, and anything our pigs / geese get comes straight from the field.

Think we should have a thread listing silly nonsense rules & regulations?
Pigtails

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2009, 08:10:54 pm »
think of scrapie/bse that we beastie can linger on surfaces and equipment so buy some cheap meat contaminate the surfaces chop some veg and give them the scraps. guess what your safe practice is now not so safe.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2009, 11:26:09 pm »
Even if you didn't feed the scraps you would still be spreading the contamination every time you entered their pens and feed them, handled them or even just walked through their fields.... You did use your hands to put your wellies on didn't you?. Unless of course you did the full bio- security reccommendations and scrubbed up and changed to protective overalls and hair cap... Of course you did!!
Ian

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2009, 07:17:10 am »
And by the time you get that lot on, you have missed pigs' breakfast and its almost time for their dinner!!!!

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2009, 08:56:58 am »
So do you consider feeding your own homegrown veg, 'bending the rules'. Because I was led to understand by DEFRA that it is perfectly acceptable.
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2009, 10:16:48 am »
Note to self....never eat at shetland pauls....food preparation a bit iffy!  ;D Maybe it's because the long suffering wife used to be a chef, but we use different coloured boards for meat veg and bread and sterilise all after use.....new that OCD would come in helpful at some stage!! However, as I said we compost ours as we get so much spoiled fruit and veg from the market that the veg scrapings would just involve a longer walk to the pig feeding area, as opposed to the compostor.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2009, 09:14:57 pm »
after eating some of the stuff ive fed the kids they agree. odd how my oldest daughter prefers to cook tea when mum is not there. so what do the french and therest of europe teach on the piggy feeding.

Janette1970

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North Lincs
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2009, 04:25:49 pm »
New to pigs (not got them yet!!) Thus not read any regs etc.!!!

Are we all to be treated as imbeciles (must spell check!!) just 'cos a few flout the rules (and will continue to do so whether the rules are in place or not!!).

I thought you fed your scraps to pigs!!! I thought they ate almost anything??!?!??!??

I stand corrected. They probably do eat anything if you let them!!!!

I do think though, as has already been mentioned that good basic food hygene should be good enough for my pigs!!! My children are all ok (although I don't plan on eating them, the credit crunch isn't that bad yet :o)

Obviously more reading is needed!!!! Didn't think it would be this complicated!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS