Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Potato peelings????  (Read 31792 times)

paulsou

• Joined May 2009
Potato peelings????
« on: June 08, 2009, 01:40:40 pm »
I am new to pig keeping but could you tell me if i can feed potato peelings to pigs in addition to their food?

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: Potato peelings????
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 02:47:53 pm »
You are legally not allowed to feed pigs, or chickens, any food that has been passed through a kitchen!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 02:52:47 pm »
I have never heard so much crap, what reason do our leaders give for this piece of nonsense? :dunce:

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 03:45:26 pm »
You are legally not allowed to feed pigs, or chickens, any food that has been passed through a kitchen!!

is this true?
does anyone have a link to a .gov site that states this
thanks kn

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 04:08:09 pm »

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 04:15:49 pm »
I am new to pig keeping but could you tell me if i can feed potato peelings to pigs in addition to their food?
if you grow your own or buy from non meat supplier (greengrocer) peel and cook the potatoes outside then you can!!

paulsou

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 04:47:47 pm »
As i said i am new to pigs & regarding food from the kitchen i thought it was a case of nothing from catering establishments but what about uncooked veg & peelings from my own kitchen at home???? Is this a no no as well??? someone mentioned it was ok to give peelings but they would need to be boiled i just dont know!! defra dont seem to make it clear!

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 05:15:13 pm »
Right,I've had enough of this b****x.

If you are raising your pigs for your own consumption,and I'm guessing because you "new to all this",then veg peelings from your own kitchen is fine,just make sure they haven't come into contact with any meat (raw or cooked). I boil up the veg peelings and add in to their normal feed. As it's just me here generally,there's no point me trying to work how much less normal food they get,it's a treat.

If you are raising your pigs to sell the meat on a commercial basis,then yes,adhere to Defra guidlines.

Keeping pigs requires a certain level of common sense,just like keeping every other animal/pet.If you've got children that are still living and breathing,then I'm sure you'll be fine!
This is just another reason why I moved to France,none of the bulls*** and regulations in the ever declining Uk.......Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 06:14:38 pm »
and of course you could peel your spuds in a bucket in the garden and cook the peelings on a workshop stove or camping gas ring  ;)
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

paulsou

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 07:39:35 pm »
Thanks everybody who has responded to my question. the old saying "you dont ask you dont know".

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 08:04:40 pm »
MrRee - I'm afraid it makes no difference who is going to eat them or indeed if they are to be eaten at all! The rules still apply ::)

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 08:39:23 pm »
Don't you just love it when a single question provokes so many different opinions.

As far as I'm aware, in my modest opinion, anything that has been in any kitchen cannot be fed to pigs. If you grow your own and occasionally pick veg and give it straight to the pigs then it's ok. If you manage to get fruit and veg from a wholesaler, then it's ok as long as it's kept away from a kitchen.

I would also think that this stands regardless of who will be eating it. I think some get confused with the killing process on this matter, as you can kill and butcher your own at home if it's solely for your consumption.

I do love a good thread!!!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 08:52:04 pm »
I'm with MrRee!! ;D

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 09:06:08 pm »
ITS ALL SO SILLY!!

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 09:57:03 pm »
the rules only count when you get caught... for examples see MP's Expenses
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS