Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Potato peelings????  (Read 31799 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Re: Potato peelings????
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 12:09:56 am »
Nobody wants to see a return to the days of swill from canteens being fed to pigs. However a little common sense should apply. Personally I compost all veg scrapings, for the simple reason that I find it much easier to get spoiled fruit and veg and run it through a garden shredder (solely used for feeding the pigs) before mixing it with feed. My porkers wouldn't eat a carrot if you put it in front of them.....but shred it and they devour all! Bit like my kids really....any food they won't eat i.e chick peas, baby sweetcorn etc., I just blend up with tomatoe sauce and serve it as pasta bolognaise, or use it as a pizza topping. It has to be said that the kids (wonderful bunch) aren't as rambunctious as the piggies  ;D

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 07:07:10 am »
I'm no goody goody, but I find some folks attitude to the rules quite concerning!

They are there to protect us, alledgedly, from another foot and mouth. Just because you only have 2 pigs and are planning to eat them yourself, then as a pig keeper, you should adhere to the rules. If F&M ever returned then I would like to think I did all I could NOT to spread it or start it.

Some people have ploughed all they haveinto their farms and as someone who not only hobby farms but also commercially farms 500 acres, then I would be distraught if I reappeared. My losses would be far greater than 2 pigs and 3 sheep

We all detest the daft rules, including standstills, but we all have to standby them.

If you're not prepared to do it, then seriously reconsider keeping animals!!!!!

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 08:38:47 am »
I would have more respect for the rules if they actually had a sound scientific reasoning behind them instead of lets just introduce something to say they have solved a problem. By the way working in the agricultural industry I know more farmers who break the rules than I do smallholders who have genuine feelings for their livestock and will detect any illness or diseases far quicker than most modern stockmen
Ian

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 08:55:29 am »
It's true, some flaunt the rules!! But I personally wouldn't risk it!!!
Too much at stake

rorsa

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Rainford, Merseyside
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 08:59:29 am »
I am with ukag0972 on this. It is so easy to moan about regulations. The reason for banning use of anything that has been in a kitchen is obvious and sensible. The fact is that with the best will in the world you cannot be sure that food that has been through a kitchen has not come into contact with meat products - whether by being on a work surface that has had meat on it or otherwise. It is easy for those of us who do not rely entirely upon raising livestock to support ourselves to criticise but are peoples memories of the devastation caused by foot and mouth so short?

paulsou

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 09:32:34 am »
After a lengthy discussion with the animal health department they have stated that nothing at all can be given to pigs or any other livestock, chickens etc... that has come via a kitchen (domestic or commercial) due to possible contamination from knives, meat dishes & breadboards etc...

We can only give veg direct from garden/plot if given direct to the animals. Veg & fruit can be brought from suppliers if they go direct to animals not via kitchens.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 09:49:00 am »
It's a shame that people are bullied into not being able to use their own common sense. I understand that some people have fed livestock with contaminated feed which had animal product in it. This has now been recognised as bad practise. The no contact with kitchen waste implies that we should not feed animals to our animals, or parts thereof. However, when I have been visited by DEFRA, the advice the guy gave me was to keep your veg preparation away from meat preparation( good practise anyway) and have a seperate boiling pot for your pig feed, ie a ruddy great pan that you just use for boiling up spuds etc for your pigs. he was quite happy to turn a blind eye to it being boiled in the kitchen, as long as you understood the meat/veg separation.
I have also heard on the grapevine that they are going to start allowing animal protiens back into commercial animal feeds, under strict guidelines. We as a nation are very anal about adhereing to red tape. big corperations seem to have ways of challenging this. our continental neighbours seem to use common sense to which eec regs they want to stick to.Use the guidelines and also your common sense.
I am lucky enough to have two sinks in the kitchen on seperate worktops. veg only on one. all the rest on the other. And a huge slab of wood that lives in the garage and comes out for butchery.
a little bit of potato peel unboiled , but not having been in contact with meat, now and again should not cause the downfall of europes agriculture. good healthy food for good healthy animals.
feeding animals on the rendered down remains of cheap, imported fast food meats, from global companies, however, is what should be stipulated as the major threat.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 10:03:35 am »
The way I see it, the rules are strict and for good reason, I'm very careful how and what I feed to my pigs and would like to think my neighbour does the same, if he decides to feed his pigs with veg chopped with the same knife he just chopped his chicken with and caused a f&m outbreak, then my animals are at risk too. Wasn't the last outbreak caused by someone feeding a pig a salami sandwich?!
Yes it is all about common sense but sadly not everyone is blessed with that!!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 01:14:12 pm »
Was it not a kebab?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 01:37:59 pm »
thats the point we dont know were all the meat comes from. have a look at the tesco freezer section. So in general in the vast majority of cases there is little or no risk but just imagine if you had to watch your animals being shot and burnt in front of you then all your neighbours for miles around. so feel free to give them scraps but remember if your caught then expect the results to be expensive it only took one person to decimate the animal industry a few years back don't be the next.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 04:34:08 pm »
It's all about keeping the risk down. No meat equals no risk. It's a shame that a lot of good, cheap food goes to landfill, rather than to pigs, but better than the disaster we had. Feeding pigs on good fodder, gm free etc is not cheap, and makes for more expensive pork. It is much better in my opinion, but I am biased. It is also annoying that we are in competition with meat that has been injected with large amounts of water to bulk it up for next to no cost. Once you get folk used to the good stuff they are reluctant to go back to the supermarket, but there is a recession on, and cost is king. Don't let the regulations put you off, just get on with it, stick to the guidelines set down by DEFRA, apply a bit of common sense, and enjoy keeping great animals that give fantastic meat.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 05:24:44 pm »
the last foot and mouth outbreak came from vaccine leaking from a government laboratory. The previous foot and mouth outbreak allegedly came from a farmer who didn't double boil pig swill which came from the local school. In my mind I was more worried about why the school kitchens weren't cooking food for the kids sufficiently enough to kill bacteria.

As an afterthought I should add that I don't have pigs nor feed any of my livestock anything that goes through the kitchen. Mainly because there are very little scraps left and what is left goes on the compost heap
Ian

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 06:06:30 pm »
For what its worth...disobeying the rules is what gets you into trouble and the consequences could lead to serious problems for you and others...we may not like them but as smallholders we do undertake to obey them...in anycase, if there's any risk of feeding my pigs or any other animals anything that could cause them harm then I don't do it...full stop!

Personally, I remember with great fondness the smell of warm pig swill and the relish with which my fathers pigs devoured it - he made it himself, which was allowed back in the fifties - but the big commercial feed producers introduced all manner of additives to their products with an eye to profit and as a result we ended up poisoning our livestock and contaminating our meat...if the only way to avoid this type of thing happening again is to obey the rules (questionable though many of them may be) then we have no choice but to abide them.

Think...a pig in the wild will eat practically anything that grows, but only in its raw state...he doesn't cook it...if you want to feed them spuds, buy/grow a few extra, chop them into quarters and watch them enjoy the treat...likewise with any veg!

Farmer
 :farmer:

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 07:06:18 pm »
Slightly off-topic I know,but just for all you law abiding purists out there,here are a couple of laws still in effect....

All English males over the age 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice a week supervised by the local clergy.
In York,excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.
Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks (enacted by Edward VI).
It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.

As it's been said so many times before on this thread,laws are there to be adhered to! .........Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 07:25:46 pm »
With all due respect MrRee, you made it clear you think the defra rules are b******s!  but is the last post trying to be funny or are you taking the wee? ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS