Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rope question.  (Read 4222 times)

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
rope question.
« on: December 07, 2012, 06:59:18 pm »
I have need of some rope for several jobs. I've tried using that blue stuff that Mole valley sell, but it's too stretchy and what I need is non stretchy. I need it to lift stuff, and also to help me fell an awkwardly leaning tree, so it needs to be fairly stout as well. I guess I'm after the kind of rope riggers use to lift stuff, but I have no idea what it's called. A google search brought up tonnes of responses (and earned them another quid they won't pay any tax on) so I was hoping to narrow it down.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: rope question.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 11:55:31 pm »
if memory serves, the cheap blue rope is polypropylene and quite stretchy; nylon in very stretchy but stronger - used for anchor warps, but polyester is not stretchy - used for halyards for hoisting sails.

if you really want non stretchy then you can get pre-stretched polyester (4% stretch at breaking strain)

I think a braid is less stretchy than twisted three-strand.

m

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 08:01:42 am »
gotcha, thanks mab.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 08:42:35 am »
Hiya,

Rope is all very well, but for tree work or lifting heavy stuff, I'd personally use a webbing strop. there are plenty on ebay and the like. Obviously long lengths can become quite expensive, but they're very hard wearing and can be used for all sorts of things.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 09:47:05 am »
we use webbing for most tree work

i have an old abseil line (not fit for climbing anymore) i use for lifting and lowering as it has very little stretch.

i dread it finally giving up as its too expensive to replace as i don't climb anymore...

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 12:32:10 pm »
I'll second that. Webbing strops are one of the most useful things you can own. Lifting, dragging, you name it they do it, and you'll never have to try and untie a horrible wet knot again.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 12:41:28 pm »
We felled 15 trees last month using the blue polyprop rope for pulling them over their natural centre of gravity so they fell where we wanted. Some of it is looking rather frayed now, just from broken strands under tension. It's cheap, but if any lines had broken we would have destroyed the greenhouse. So I think we took a big risk and were lucky.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:51:45 pm »
blue 6mm polyprop has a nominal breaking strain of 1 ton with no knots or abrasions, these weaken it very quickly!!!

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 10:22:22 pm »
We tend to use 2 or 5 ton webbing lifting straps, they are only 20 quid or so from our local tarp and lifting place in Inverness and they last forever. Doubles asa handy tow strap when you get the tractor stuck too.... :innocent:

arwelcoed

• Joined Feb 2012
  • West midlands
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 06:11:12 am »
What your after is 12-13mm static 12 or 16 strand rope as we use for tree climbing and dismantling. This rope has a very high braking strain (about 3.5 tons!) and is very easy to untie knots in.
Expensive rope and you wouldn't want to be cutting bits off as luxury bailer twine but if you use real knots and not your own recipe! It will last for ever!
I keep all my old climbing lines and retire them for this purpose. Try eBay for used ones. 

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 10:31:00 am »
We tend to use 2 or 5 ton webbing lifting straps, they are only 20 quid or so from our local tarp and lifting place in Inverness and they last forever. Doubles asa handy tow strap when you get the tractor stuck too.... :innocent:
Ditto i keep two coiled up under the seat in my pick-up you never know when you might need to strap sommat down or tow somebody out, i usually pick mine up at the hardware stalls at the show we go to in the summer, i can't resist those stalls and come away with all sorts of lovelies for my shed! :thumbsup:
mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS