Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tractor with no sign of life  (Read 4625 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Tractor with no sign of life
« on: January 19, 2013, 09:54:34 am »
Our normally very reliable Kioti just wouldn't start on Thursday. The battery has been recharged though it still had life. All connections have been checked. We have been having to get the key hot to be able to turn it in the ignition and the brakes were frozen when we used it Wednesday night-all usual stuff in these weather conditions but Thursday, just nothing at all. It's under cover and we keep trying but can't think what else it could be. Any ideas?
Apparently diesel can freeze? It seems to us to be the electrics though which I assume freezing conditions can affect also.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:57:50 am by Pedwardine »

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
Re: Tractor with no sign of life
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 10:28:41 am »
Just a thought does it turn over or is there nothing, we have had a problem with our Yanmar and it was a stuck starter motor giving it a good bang with a hammer released it, but only after changing battery and thinking electrics just the same as your selves.   I think the cold effected the metal in the spring of the bendix.

Hope it works.

Tala Orchard
Pigs are human tooo

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 10:35:50 am »
Thanks Tala, we'll give that idea a bash!  ;D

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 01:46:07 pm »
Sorted it  ;D

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 04:58:43 pm »
No we haven't  ::)  Battery showed life but was old so we got a new one and electrics kicked in again but now the starter motor is knackered. It's a Valeo E6500 but can we find one anywhere? No we can't! How on earth are we going to manage without until we do? Suppose we'll work out SOME way to move huge bales of haylage over to the sheep. May literally have to be in piecemeal in the back of the truck. Bugger it muchly  :rant:

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:41:19 am »
There are people out there that will strip down and recondition starter motors- could be an option if you cant source a new one.

In the mean time, take it off yourself if you are up to it, and just clean every thing you can see, blow it out with an air line,  give it a tap with a hammer as mentioned above....youve nothing to lose put it back together and give it a try.  Check all the big cables that supply it, and make sure battery connections are tight, slacken them, twist them a bit to ensure contact then tighten again.

If all else fails you should be able to tow start it,  (tricky if there is snow lying as you need grip for the wheels,  prepare it as if you were going to start it normally, stop in, ignition on if it has one,  Select the highest gear (ie road going gear) , tie to the back of your truck and once up to speed let out the clutch steadily,  all being well youll be in business.

As an aside, diesel can freeze but it doesnt appear to be the problem you have here,  The sign that your engine is getting fuel is to turn it over on the starter...if fuel is getting through you will see white smoke coming from the exhaust, if it isnt fuel isnt getting through could be frozen diesel, blocked filters or no fuel in it !

Diesel in its standard form will freeze the process starts at around 0 deg C. So why arent all the cars on the road stuck at this time of year ?  Well firms put in additives during the winter so when you buy disel at the pumps it wont freeze.  Probelm comes if you fill your tank in summer and dont use the vehicle much, winter arrives and it still has summer disel in.  Farmers of course usually have a big tank,  if they fill up with winter diesel whilst the tank is still say a third full of summer diesel you end up with something in between.

At the moment in this extreme wether, i have  a little 1 Kw fan heater in my shed,  about 10 mins before starting the tractor i set it off as close as i can pointing at the side of the engine where the fuel pipes enter the injectors, This warms the fuel in the pipes and the injectors slightly and i find the tractor starts instantly as though it were summer saving a whole load of strain on the battery,  Only any good of your tractor is under cover and you have an electric supply i guess. 

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 11:16:48 am »
lots of places do alternator rewinds, normally quite reasonably too. try a local engineering firm.

they do have a website www.valeo.com

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 03:39:33 pm »
Hi Pen, Try contacting a local Motor Factor, they can most times source the equivalent model to a Valeo starter at a lesser cost than original equipment, its a pity you are not closer to West Sussex as I have a guy near me who works miracles on repairing units,
When you get the engine to turn over you could try a quick puff of EASY START into the air cleaner (not too much and not recommended for everyday use) it is an Ether based product and I use it sometimes to start stubborn engines. ( I was a commercial vehicle and plant mechanic) used to use a paraffin flare down the intake in the old days, best not to got that way now though!!!
Hope this helps

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 09:13:24 pm »
sorry that should be Ped not Pen

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 10:44:45 am »
We have a problem in that the bucket is down to the ground so tractor not towable. Had a quote for a new motor for £530 plus carriage just now  :o  Also had a time frame of one month for reconditioning. Bugger bugger BUGGER. We are currently looking doomed  :-\

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 01:28:37 pm »
Can you believe it? Our lovely neighbour who mends moffats for a living and is a self confessed hoarder of things which 'might come in useful one day' has found a starter motor which fits which he's been carrying from house to house for the last ten years. He's fitted it for us and our tractor is now working. YES!  :thumbsup:  He won't charge us a penny.  He also found a supplier of a new one for a little over £100. He's been working on our problem since 8am this morning. He's got a very large carrot cake coming his way to satisfy his very sweet tooth.
AND it's stopped again.... :rant:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:00:29 pm by Pedwardine »

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 08:05:58 am »
Okay, okay, it starts ever so tentatively with the temporary motor. Means we have to do all our jobs in one fell swoop and keep it running otherwise it may not start again and may be in the middle of a field! We're not risking taking it around the back of the barn to refuel. Too many unseen ruts under deep snow. We'll keep filling a jerry can and bringing it round the front. New starter motor arriving tomorrow (£109) which lovely neighbour will fit at weekend. He's been so good to us.

nick-in-ca

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 03:16:05 am »
if you have to hit the starter motor  there is a good chance that the solenoid is the problem the penny is pitted
low battery starting usually cause   replace cap and penny less costly that the whole starter
on very cold days like today in Canada i have made a fire under the tractor  or bulldozer to get it warm  before trying to start in cold times
tonite as i wright is is -25 C
 as for the fuel get fresh winter grade diesel  or add some gasoline to it if summer grade fuel
a suggestion to lift the bucket when tractor not running  jack bucket while activating rise lever
nick in ca

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 09:51:46 am »
Once warm will it start ok? I have a similar problem with my 1985 land rover. Initially replaced the battery but later detected a lazy starter motor. Very hard to turn over when left for a couple of days in sub zero temperatures. Once cranked it is fine for the rest of the day. When cold the metal engine components i.e. piston, rings etc compress in the cold causing more friction. When you park up park on a hill so you can bump it if necessary, works for me until I get around to replacing the starter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS