Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick Soay Wether - Any Advice Please?  (Read 4342 times)

Violetsprite

• Joined Oct 2011
Sick Soay Wether - Any Advice Please?
« on: November 24, 2012, 12:34:41 pm »
Hi all - i have a 3 year old normally full of life Soay wether who didn't come out of the shelter last night around dusk but because it was getting dark i didn't notice a problem. This morning when i checked on him he was having what appears to be spasms in his stomach and is grinding his teeth occasionally. I am waiting for the vet at the moment but rang them at 9am this morning and still have no idea when they are coming out so in the meantime wonder if anyone has any ideas and advice on what i can do to help him. He  is occasionally standing, turning & sitting back down. He isn't eating & doesn't appear to be cudding. He isn't lethargic, eyes still look bright but no signs that he is passing stools. He was A ok yesterday morning & no problems in my other stock (a soay ewe & various goats). I've asked a local sheep farmer who suggested meningitis?? He was wormed for worms & fluke 5 or 6 weeks ago, feeds on some concentrate, plenty of hay, good mineral lick & is free ranging in a large meadow grass field. Any ideas ?? Thanks

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Sick Soay Wether - Any Advice Please?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 12:59:20 pm »
He sounds pretty uncomfortable! Could he have eaten something he shouldn't? Or too much of something?

Is he bloated?

A drench of 40ml olive oil followed by a tablespoon bicarb of soda (baking powder) mixed up in water, won't do him any harm and is what you give for mild bloat. Might help?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 01:00:07 pm »
Just about to type exactly what jaykay did!  (Not surprising, got that remedy here on TAS from her a while back!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 01:54:25 pm »
Do you feed him concentrates suitable for male sheep?  If not, he could be in urinary retention which is an emergency, caused by urinary stones/calculi.  Mention the possibility to the vet.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 01:58:01 pm »
I was thinking the same as Fleecewife. We had a wether with Urinary Calculi through ignorance on our part in feeding correct feed for males. Is he peeing?

Violetsprite

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 02:15:40 pm »
Hi all - thanks for advice.

Vet has now been said heart rate not high as would expect with stones & no other indications of this. Feed a general coarse mix suitable for broad range of livestock so don't think it's that - but thanks for the advice as i didn't know there was a difference - i'd be interested to know why/what should be avoided? The previous owners used to feed him iced buns & biscuits - so mentioned this to vet but doesn't seem to be the issue. She has given him antibiotics & relaxant plus a gut powder to drench over the next few days & hope it is just a temporary upset. Fingers crossed - thanks again all.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 02:29:31 pm »
Fingers crossed he improves now  :fc:

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:44:18 pm »
Wondering how the soay is doing? also any more info on feeding males??I have a ram and two wethers who all eat the standard sheep crunch? is this OK??
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 02:33:57 pm »
When I bought my sheep this summer, I mentioned to our local feed merchant that I needed feed suitable for male sheep and he looked at me as though I was stupid. I told him that our breeders had said not to feed them ewe nuts (which is what the feed merchant wanted to sell me) because of the risk of stones. He said it was nonsense but I decided to go with my breeder's advice and bought ewe nuts for the girls and lamb creep pellets for the boys. I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 03:03:29 pm »
I decided to go with my breeder's advice and bought ewe nuts for the girls and lamb creep pellets for the boys. I'd rather be safe than sorry!
I wondered why my stuff was called 'Tup and Lamb' mix, but with goats there is just 'goat mix' suitable for all class of goats'. so whats the difference? What should I be looking for in ingredients that I shouldn't feed to the male?

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 08:51:09 pm »
I think it's the magnesium in ewe nuts that the rams shouldn't have, but I could be wrong! I'm new to sheep this year so probably not the best person to ask!

Blacksheep (on here) is the breeder we got our Zwartbles from and so may be able to advise you better?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 04:55:27 am »
Link into the last (of many) conversations about feed for male sheep and avoiding urinary calcul;
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS