Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Untupped Shearling  (Read 2710 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Untupped Shearling
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:34:58 pm »
Well, after 6 weeks the ram has covered 29 of our 31 ewes. One uncovered ewe wasn't a surprise as I saw her standing for the ram at the beginning of August just before we split the girls out from the boys - so looks like we'll be seeing a Christmas lamb or two which will be a first, hmm.  Looks like I might have to start.... :knit:

The other ewe that hasn't been covered is more of a mystery, she's a shearling so I have no lambing history on her, I'm pretty sure she's not pregnant as she is quite slight and, unlike the other ewe, there is no sign of her getting her milk in. 

The only thing I can think of is that she is barren and is not coming into season. Is this likely?  I always assumed barren ewes still cycled but just didn't fall pregnant ??

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Untupped Shearling
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 04:08:52 pm »
No I had one one like that. She came to me as a one-crop ewe (having had a single as a shearling gimmer, I was told by the breeder selling her), but she never got tupped at all and never produced anything. Same again next year, so she is gone now. Never saw her near the tup.
Only thing I can think of is that maybe she put too much fat down internally, possibly around her ovaries, and so never cycled?  She wasn't visibly fatter than the rest. As she wasn't of commercial value (Shetland) we just had to leave it at that.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 05:34:29 pm »
You get geld ewes. Some people give them a second chance, some don't.  I kept records on the moorland farm, and in three years lambing 500+ ewes each year, only one of our geld ewes was a repeat offender - and she 'looked like a man' so we decided she was a freemartin and sent her away.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:27:30 pm »
Thanks guys, it's amazing how often you learn something new when you keep animals.
Looks like I may be giving her one more chance next year.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 10:03:39 pm »
Sometimes they can be too masculine. You could try sponging her, but that's only to see if it will bring about oestrus, it's not guaranteed she'll get in lamb. :innocent:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 11:50:30 pm »
Thanks Hazelwood, I think I'll leave it for this year as I'm expecting to get lambing done and dusted in 3 weeks based on the returns to the ram.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS