Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Calling all pedigree Zwartbles breeders  (Read 9625 times)

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
Re: Calling all pedigree Zwartbles breeders
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 06:20:09 am »
Hi Ally
We had a short flock visit to Matthew's flock last year, really liked his tups! We have sold a couple of ewe lambs to Matthew in the past, one for showing at the highland, we use her full brother in the flock and he is sire of 'zwartbles' ram, Titus, pictured above!
Yes a bit puzzling re the empties, we have one ewe in particular that tends to lamb a bit later than the main flock so usually shows empty at scanning, however she was showing, and often get one or two others that are later that don't show. However, apart from one or two older ewes I would have expected the other younger ewes to have held without problems, one was tupped early September and hasn't had a raddle mark since then. They are now all in with a raddled ram to see if they take or not over the next couple of weeks. Potentially they could have had singles that have absorbed and then taken a while to come back cycling again. The scanner certainly said that he had scanned more barren ewes than normal in the area this time, I think that we may have been unlucky with the timing of the virus circulating in our area.  I hope all goes well with your scanning next week.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS