Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It feels wrong  (Read 6838 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
It feels wrong
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:33:29 pm »
I buy most of my paperbacks from the charity shop and then send them back where they came from when I have finished.
Last night the cover of the book I had just finished was eaten by the dog, so today I have been ripping the pages out to help light the fire but it just feels wrong to destroy a book.  :(
Do any of you feel the same?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

deepinthewoods

Re: It feels wrong
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:39:43 pm »
yes.
bad sally!!

unless the book was mills and boon or some other such c..p

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 05:40:06 pm »
Me too Sally
I used to manage a bookshop and some companies rather than us returning SOR paperback stock, they just wanted the jackets, so we would sit ripping the jackets off all these books and the actual books went into the rubbish compactor - we couldn't even recycle them as they had to be properly destroyed :( :o

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 05:41:10 pm »
Yes!  Lol.  I couldn't even tell you why!

Helen

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 06:04:36 pm »
Yes, I think we've been taught to respect books and learning. Which is a good thing.

But not when the books take over your house, as they were doing in mine. As well as give some to the charity shops I have thrown some out. Felt bad, but I did anyway. The lack of clutter feels good.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 06:32:03 pm »
I was thinking about that too, I like the feel of a Book but I suppose at least with a kindle you can enlarge the print etc, its a bit like owning your music as oppose to down loading it....I was made to burn all my college and uni stuff when I finnished, that was hard!  :(

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 06:58:49 pm »
That seems rather harsh?  :-\

deepinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 07:02:07 pm »
doesnt it just! :(

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 10:06:01 pm »
I feel it is wrong to destroy books.  Pass them on.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 06:44:40 am »
Oh Bionic...... me too!!! - especially with crappy train station paperbacks that I haven't managed to sell on Amazon.

As JK says - they take over my life otherwise. Apparently charity shops pulp most of their books anyway if they don't sell.

Since I changed specialities, I have alot of old medical books which I can't sell and are out of date now. It's unethical to send them to be used in developing countries (why should their learning be based out of date information??)

Personally - I shred mine and put the shredded paper in the wormery or on the compost heap.

At least I know they'll be tomatoes next year :-)

But I do feel bad as I was brought up to respect books and the learning contained therein.... but I would say that now almost all of my knowledge and learning about non-professional stuff comes from the internet.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 08:01:19 am »
I know what you mean, SQ.  I had to get rid of text books I'd loved at Uni because they were now dangerously out of date.  Oh, that hurt!   :'(
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 09:59:10 am »
I love books, last Christmas OH wanted to get me one of those Kindle things and was surprised when I said no thanks. To me there is nothing like the feel of a book. I know just a sad person.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 10:06:00 am »
I love books too  :)

What I like about my iPad, when using it as a kindle, is that I can get books instantly and I can take as many as I like with me on a train journey, without my bag being ridiculously heavy.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 10:31:06 am »
Sometimes I buy books just because I love the look and feel of them. :)

And I adore good secondhand bookshops :)  There's a tremendous one in Carlisle - it's like a smaller local version of Foyle's with staircases everywhere and departments, all very well organised for the most part but with irresistable piles of unsorted books in a few nooks and crannies where you always hope you'll turn up a real treasure - and sometimes do :)

It's knocked my previous favourite, being the one in Dulverton in Exmoor, into a cocked hat  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 10:34:20 am »
I love books, last Christmas OH wanted to get me one of those Kindle things and was surprised when I said no thanks. To me there is nothing like the feel of a book. I know just a sad person.
Ditto with my OH last xmas i too am a saddo! :thumbsup:  nothing like curling up in front of a roaring fire with a good page turner, box of chocs and a huge mug o tea. :yum:
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS