Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Supplements in small quantities  (Read 10066 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Supplements in small quantities
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 04:27:23 pm »
That's reminded me that I used to add garlic to feeds.  Not sure why I stopped unless it was when we moved to a different area.  Think I'll start again now I know where I can buy it.  This thread has been very useful.  Thanks everyone.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 06:29:01 pm »
I buy the garlic from a local equestrian place because its only £4.50 for a bucket, the seaweed I think we  bought from ebay in a 20kg sack but will have to check

Just checked and yes it came from ebay and its a 25kg sack  ::)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:31:10 pm by sokel »
Graham

teddyandtumnus

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 11:12:18 pm »
Thank you for all your responses and apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I have been away from home for a few days.

I have in fact tried Caprivite but the goats really don't seem to like it. If I give it to them on its own, they barely touch it and if I mix it in with their muesli, it puts them off the muesli, though they will reluctantly eat a little.

I was hoping for a supplement or bolus that was long term rather than a food additive so that I didn't have to worry about daily dosing but it would appear from your comments that this is not possible. My comment on 'great expense' was in reference to large packs of commercially available bolus for cattle rather than the price of a tub of Caprivite or similar so please don't think I didn't want to 'shell out a tenner' for the sake of my babies!!!!

I have bought a variety of mineral licks in the past but the only one they have ever touched is the salt and even this is rare. I already add garlic to their feed and tried seaweed but it was met with utter refusal from both boys.

Just yesterday, I found some 'cattle and goat supplement' in the Adam Henson range.....has anyone had any experience of this? I have also emailed Brinicombe's for further info on their product so thank you for that tip.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 12:02:35 am »
I use Adam hensons and had great results!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 04:00:37 am »
That's useful Plums, I was just saying I hadn't heard of it or anyone using it.

Mine liked Caprivite straight off and took some getting used to the Brinicombes, though now they like it they'll eat it neat!

In fact, I find training them to eat anything new is a slow process' even things like apples and carrots ;unless of course they shouldn't eat it  ::)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 07:28:51 am »
I used it when Savannah came back into milk and her milk tasted bitter. Some research (mainly on here!) told me that she most likely had a cobalt deficiency - AH's has 4 times the amount of cobalt as caprivite so gave it a try and within 3 days her milk was 100% perfect.
I think caprivite has the most pleasant smell but with all of the minerals I've had to mix them in the feed to ensure they are eaten.
We also have the rockies - yellow for the sheep, red for the goats (because we have separate fields for both) and they do spend some time licking their rockies - usually after each meal time.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 02:03:27 pm »
It took me a long time to get mine used to Caprivite, especially the older goats.... but now it is liked. Seaweed is hidden by garlic, and even then one of my goatlings will not like it (she shoves her food around like a three-year old faced with spinach...).
However the Adam Henson liquid drench for goats only needs to be given a couple of times per year to adults, a bit more often to kids. I am using that too.
Sounds that you need a drench for your boys... there are quite a few sheep ones out there, for example "grow-a-drop" - meant for lambs, but I know it is used by some top notch goat breeders too.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 09:33:00 pm »

In fact, I find training them to eat anything new is a slow process' even things like apples and carrots ;unless of course they shouldn't eat it  ::)

That's goats for you.   ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS