Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What are you doing this month-November?  (Read 4880 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: What are you doing this month-November?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 11:22:04 pm »
Made myself a new hayrack today that I can fill from the outside so they can't 'help' when I am trying to stuff a whole bale in at once. Don't know about everyone else but I find it lasts longer if it is put out a bale at a time and left compressed? If I fluff it up they just waste it!

That must be a huge hayrack.  It is easier to fill them from outside.  I don't fluff mine up - just put it in in slices, but they still seem to get loads on the floor.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 11:06:58 am »
Yup I replaced one wooden panel with a long hurdle then fixed another hurdle to the outside about halfway up. I tilted the outside hurdle to an angle sufficient to take a bale and fixed it in place with good old baler twine! Then I used some waterproof membrane and a few well place knots to make a cover for the open top to keep the rain out :thumbsup:
If after a week it prove still to be sucessful I will replace the twine with chain to make it more permanent.
I do need to rig something up to catch dropped hay still as they still waste it ::)

I am rather please with it, all four big girls can eat from it at once without squabbling and in nice weather they can eat from the outside of it too!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 09:36:23 pm »

I am rather please with it, all four big girls can eat from it at once without squabbling and in nice weather they can eat from the outside of it too!

Mine have two racks in their shed but always have to eat from the same one and usually from the same section.   ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS