Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weekend break recommendation ?  (Read 7547 times)

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
Weekend break recommendation ?
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:52:11 pm »
Tomorrow is my husbands birthday and my mum and sister have kindly just offered to watch our 2 kids, dog and hens for 2 whole nights!!!!

The question is where to go - we never get away on our own so I just don't know where to start.

We don't want a city break it would have to be rural or coastal - somewhere to get away from it all with nice walks and scenery etc.  We live in central Scotland (Stirling) so no further drive than about 3-4 hrs.

Anyone got any recommendations?  ???

Thanks
Gillian

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
Re: Weekend break recommendation ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 05:01:53 pm »
Close to home, perhaps North Berwick which has plenty of walking ability and long shores. You could just about make Portree on Skye or perhaps Oban which should be a comfortable couple of hours. All should be easy to find accommodation in at this time of year.

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:08:55 pm »
Hi

Sorry I can not help with recommendations as I live in France  but wish you a good day out, wherever you may be, lucky you 2 WHOLE nights!!!

Carole

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 05:37:38 pm »
I can recommend RURAL Aberdeenshire - plenty of B & Bs in Inverurie, Huntly, Ellon, Turriff, and loads to do and see.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 05:45:05 pm »
Well I know a lovely wee hotel just on the outskirts of historic and beautiful St Andrews, ha ha ha. Only jesting. Inverness, you can't beat it and you don't need to go near the city centre to appreciate all it has to offer. Have a great weekend, I hear the weather is meant to be good!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 08:32:15 pm »
i just clicked on the link and your menu look lovely yum yum just had my snack and it making me hungary

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 08:43:07 pm »
hit the whiskey trail!!!!

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 09:20:15 pm »
Hi Gillian, we had a great weekend last Autumn in Pitlochry. Lots of walks, decent pubs and the Scottish Planthunters Garden was a brill. Wherever you go have a great weekend.
JD

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 10:58:50 pm »
If you like the sea, give Jo at the Beach House a call - lovely walks along the Fife Coastal Path and you can visit the Earthship at the Craigencalt Ecology Centre, if you into that kind of thing. Tell her, Kerstin told you and send her my love!
http://www.thebeachhouse.org.uk/

:&>

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 11:14:31 pm »
i'm heading to dunkeld camping on sat.

apparently there is a wee pub on the river that has great folk sessions on the evening, so that's where i'm heading

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 11:54:27 pm »
sounds great! Enjoy! :&>

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 01:48:33 pm »
Well I know a lovely wee hotel just on the outskirts of historic and beautiful St Andrews, ha ha ha. Only jesting. Inverness, you can't beat it and you don't need to go near the city centre to appreciate all it has to offer. Have a great weekend, I hear the weather is meant to be good!

Thanks for all your suggestions.  Well we are sooo late in getting this organised even more so now as we have managed to flood one of the estate agents in Stirling with a flat we own above their shop (some may say they probably deserved it!)  Anyway poor Tom has had to sort that out this morning.  With time now against us we will have to go somewhere really pretty close.

James your place looks great don't suppose you still have a double for tonight?

lovespigs

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 10:01:29 pm »
so where did the 2 of you end up going?

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 10:08:05 pm »
I ended up in North Berwick - not exactly Dunkeld, but was the only campsite i could find that had a pitch available

was great though!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 10:11:13 pm »
You couldnt have asked for better weather, I hope it wasn't actually too hot for you ha ha. I used to go camping, many years ago and loved it but never been for a very long time. Even fancied a caravan once but that was before we started our own business, now we get away for 3 weeks in January and that's our lot. I am not complaining however. Glad you had a great time. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS