Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anything Scottish - Promote it  (Read 12711 times)

sandy

Re: Anything Scottish - Promote it
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 10:41:22 pm »
Show business is hard, Susan has made it anyway and Diversity were very polished and choreographed well, an entertaining night. I think the Greek Dad and son will be inundated with bookings, I worry that it will be too much for them, they are fun. Susan's recordings will sell millions and they already are thinking about making a film of her life!!!! Her performance gave me goosebumps!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 10:55:08 pm »
Just more dance fans voting - and it must have been close. Last years' near winners have had records out, it will not be the last we've heard from Susan Boyle! I don't read tabloids, so have no idea what all that was about! I only heard Lily Allans' comment on the radio - she's the right one talking about talent (remember her attempt to impress Russell Brand at the X-mas quiz with rude jokes?) , all she's got is a famous dad...:&>

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 10:57:12 pm »
We all thought she looked like she may have been sedated. But we also noted like Annie, that she seemed much relieved to have Diversity named as the winners instead. Still, I'm sure we'll see a lot, lot more of her.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2009, 01:18:37 am »
My thought was sedation too - but as a singer myself I know she couldn't possibly have sung like that if she was sedated.  She wouldn't have been able to remember the words apart from anything else.  The tabloids tore her to bits, James.  Apparently when she gets stressed she hits the roof - she's not alone in that(that's me to a T), but they got wind of it (perhaps another competitor?) and blew it up.  It's a pity they couldn't have kept the papers away from her.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 08:58:22 am »
I see on the BBC New Website that Susan Boyle has been admitted to the Priory with exhaustion. I don't think this lady is going to be able to cope  in the limelight. The newspapers should really hang their heads in shame at the way their callous actions hurt and effect so called "celebrities". You could see on Saturday night that she was a "wreck". I wish her a very speedy recovery and contentment within herself whatever path she chooses to take.

sandy

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 09:09:36 am »
Poor Susan, she has been living quietly in her home where she led a simple life and suddenly been at a 24/7 party where she became the center of attention, good and bad, she needs some time away completely, I think if when returns home she will also face an onslaught of attention, someone needs to take her under their wing and make sure she is given some time out!! Hope Simon Cowell fits the bill and dose not push her too much. I also wounder if she can cope, it may be a case of crash and burn, whatever happens, I hope she settles into a happy life.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2009, 09:23:17 am »
Sadly most managers/promoters will see in Susan is ££££££££ signs. She could make them an absolute fortune and is she isn't heavily protected she will go BANG. Perhaps she will never cope with the fame thing. All she wanted to do was sing for her Queen, she wan't expecting what happened and yes it is a risk when you enter such a public competition but remember she isn't the "brightest fish in the tank" and therefore would never have thought anything would happen to her. Let's face it never before has anything like this happened so quickly and unexpectedly from an unknown face going on TV.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2009, 09:45:07 am »
All Susan Boyle wanted to do was record an album, my guess is she'll record it (get paid handsomely) and we'll never see or hear of her again - at her own choosing.

good luck to her.

lovespigs

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 11:44:35 am »
All done in the name of entertainment huh? This poor woman has been very badly treated and quite clearly should be a STAR. Speedy recovery wished to her and let's hope the idiots writing the crap in the newspapers day after day take a break from persecuting her.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2009, 05:09:34 pm »
Hear Hear!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2009, 05:46:46 pm »
I just WISH.....................

That someone had 'discovered' her when she was young and perhaps more capable of dealing with the pressure. I once sang in front of thousands aged only 11 and it had no effect on me at all.

She is streets ahead of me, of course, and she has the most wonderful voice and to me it sounds 'trained' but whether she had training as a youngster, who knows.

I wish her what she wants from life, nothing more, nothing less. She has given and awful lot of people a great deal of pleasure these last few weeks. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 07:40:29 pm »
For once some one writes the truth...

It Was Us, Susan Boyle, Who Drove You Mad
Quentin Letts, 06.02.09, 01:09 PM EDT
We are guilty for the dowdy Scot's rapid rise to--and fall from--fame.

Susan Boyle 

Television, most voracious of mediums, just chewed and spat out another innocent. Susan Boyle, the 48-year-old Scottish singer and talent show contestant, has been taken to a clinic after a psychiatric breakdown.

Poor Susan. The whole world, it seems, has been watching her, cheering her--and laughing at her. It laughed because she was not pretty in the conventional sense. It laughed because she was plainly a bit peculiar. And it laughed because the turbo-charged beauty of her voice contrasted sharply with her dowdy looks.

London's newspapers nicknamed her "the hairy angel" almost as soon as she burst into the news cycle in April. Paparazzi, film crews and Fleet Street Macintoshes chased her down the street and made her life an exhausting misery.

She was given a fashion makeover. She was followed into bars and hotels and had her remarks eavesdropped on at all hours. She was hot copy. Hardly anyone stopped to worry about her learning difficulties.

Now that the Britain's Got Talent show has pocketed its money and come to the end of its current run, however, the woman who helped make it such a success is under sedation in a secure environment. The showbiz jackals have picked her carcass clean.

Effectively, a defenseless, middle-aged virgin was placed in fame's microwave and went "Pop!" The virgin thing is a major fact in the matter. It was her lack of worldliness--she admitted she had never been kissed romantically--that made her so interesting to the media in the first place.

Imagine: In this era of sexual incontinence, a Western woman who had almost reached her 50th birthday without being snogged. News announcers, disclosing this nugget, gave small head gestures that meant, "Unbelievable, ain't it?" Boyle was soon left in no doubt that she was a freak.

When she first appeared on the talent show, the three judges on the program radiated mockery and ennui. Boyle looked like an off-duty nun. She was plump, hirsute, about as sexy as a wet weekend in her home county of West Lothian.

Related Stories
The Scandal Continues In Westminster
Boyle's Back, But Talent Still Lacks YouTube Juice
Simon Cowell, who is not only a judge but also one of the money men behind Britain's Got Talent, shot her a look that said, "Get that ridiculous old bag out of here." Members of the audience shielded their eyes, unable to look at such a strange sausage.

But then she opened her mouth and started singing. It was the first time she had performed since her old mother's death, and certainly the first time she had sung to such a big crowd. The judges' jaws dropped. The audience started whooping. It was marvelous--a moment the beauty of music trumped all the customary plastic surgery and lip gloss and plastic hairdos of spangled showbiz.

The video clip was stuck on the Internet, and the world caught fire, as it can so quickly these days. Boyle, a woman who previously had been employed only as a trainee cook, went from maiden-aunt crooner to global sensation faster than you could set a bowl of milk jelly.

In fame's early hours, she was fantastically excited and lapped up the attention.

"Su-Bo," as the tabloids are now calling her, was clearly set to become the subject of a biopic motion picture. Until Saturday's night's Britain's Got Talent final, which she was expected to win easily, that movie would have been a classic ugly-duckling-turns-into-swan yarn, a tale of how the church volunteer from a modest family in Scotland won a competition watched by 19 million people--roughly a third of Britain's population.

That was going to be the storyline, anyway. But Boyle did not win the show. To nearly everyone's great surprise, perhaps not least her own, she came in second. The phone-in vote was won instead by a youth dance troupe.

Boyle had already been acting oddly. In the day before the live show, she had shouted at people and was overheard swearing--she the church volunteer!--at a television set. She was not sleeping much. Nor did she eat well. She was living away from her family at a smart London hotel. (In her old life, she had rarely patronized hotels.) Every day, fresh stories about her strange behavior surfaced. The fashion makeover, done to please her new media friends, backfired. Columnists started saying she was even uglier now that she was trying to look fashionable.

On the day after the final episode, an ambulance was called to her hotel and she was gently led away to the Priory, one of London's better-known clinics for the unsteady. Reportedly, she felt she had "let everyone down" by not winning. She worried that she would never now be given the chance to sing professionally--the one thing that interested her all along.

And so the biopic has experienced a plot twist. It will make it a better story in some ways, though not for the unhappy, confused Boyle.

Cowell and his TV production company Sy-Co (pronounced, oh dear, "psycho") have been accused of failing to look after Boyle, and relevant wording of the terrestrial TV license conditions governing broadcasters is being discussed.

Personally, I'd say the TV program makers are not entirely to blame. I would even make the case that these talent shows, although vulgar, are a worthwhile device, reintroducing ideas of competitiveness and failure to a Britain whose state schools have sought to extinguish all concept of selection based on merit.

Cowell and Co. are far from saintly. They have undoubtedly made millions off of Boyle's weirdness. But that is something freak shows in Victorian times used to do.

The guilty party is, surely, all of us--all the members of a society that fell on an un-photogenic virgin as though she were the last tribal bush woman in the Amazon. Boyle would not have been so amazing to us, and therefore would not have been such a big story, if she had been even moderately good-looking or had serial boyfriends. No, it was our own obsession with plastic looks and sex above all else that made her seem unusual. She was just a simple soul from small-town Scotland. Why should she share our sophisticated, decadent view?

Let's hope Boyle recovers her health swiftly and then returns to her family in West Lothian. Her neighbors up there are proud of her for coming second and intend to give her a belter of a welcome when she finally comes home. They may never have kissed her, but at least they loved her for the right reasons.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS