Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TB, have spoken with animal health vet in ministry!!!  (Read 15466 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: TB, have spoken with animal health vet in ministry!!!
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2012, 06:58:20 pm »
I'm sure that's true.
However, goats would not affect the cattle export market, pet or not.

Yes they do, because, in the case of FMD, if some pet goats are vaccinated, then the whole country cannot be declared FMD free.
I don't think you would be allowed to vaccinate any kind of goat, as they are classified as farm animals that can (and do) enter the food chain. That's what differentiates them from alpacas for example.

Yes, that's what I meant- it's why you can't vaccinate pet goats (or any ones) because then there would be animals in the system who might enter the food chain- or even their offspring because I am not sure how that would work either.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2012, 08:37:13 pm »
I'm sure that's true.
However, goats would not affect the cattle export market, pet or not.

Yes they do, because, in the case of FMD, if some pet goats are vaccinated, then the whole country cannot be declared FMD free.
I don't think you would be allowed to vaccinate any kind of goat, as they are classified as farm animals that can (and do) enter the food chain. That's what differentiates them from alpacas for example.
No longer the case 100% - alpacas are now entering the food chain....
http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/news/9200967.Alpaca_first_for_Eastington_company/
Wow  :o .... have they changed their classification then? Given that breeding females still sell for a few thousand quid per animal, that would be some expensive meat... and DO WE NEED IT?  ???

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2012, 09:23:19 pm »
With so many Alpaca's being churned out better to do something with the surplus not good quality rather than just breed more

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2012, 03:16:16 pm »
Wonder if its because alpaca breeders are finding it hard to stay afloat on what the average alpaca offers  :-\  Prior to venturing into goatkeeping, I went to Moreton show to find out more about alpacas in a view to keeping them. The breeders I spoke to were visibly downbeat basically saying if you can't make decent clothes out of the fleece/fibre, then you'll never make any money out of the beasts. Coupled with the fact that they looked to me like something out of starwars up close, I settled for goats (and truth be told I'm rubbish with textiles). Maybe alpaca stew/curry/roast is a really good way of bringing some money back in during the economic downturn if people aren't buying nice alpaca jumpers but opting for cheaper options  :-\
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2012, 07:36:28 pm »
In a country with 90odd different breeds of sheep with all sorts of wool on their backs I always wondered what alpacas had that sheep didn't.... I prefer to spin sheeps wool to alpaca...
I know a few people have got out of Alpacas..., but eating them must mean quite a loss to them on the whole... also do we need another (very expensive!) meat to eat in these tight times... I would rather opt for rabbits and other cheap meat (what about muntjac deer...)
Soory, hijacked the thread somewhat...

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2012, 08:05:06 pm »
I would rather opt for rabbits and other cheap meat (what about muntjac deer...)
{/quote]

We had a gorgeous muntjac roadkill goulash with goats sour cream last week... :yum:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2012, 09:48:03 pm »
Why do I never find road kill like that?

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2012, 09:52:11 pm »
I just turned into my driveway to open the gate on thursday and there was a muntjac just comming towards me,I've yet to teach Chelsea that Muntjac doesn't begin with "R" and therefore a no no! ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2012, 09:54:31 pm »

We had a gorgeous muntjac roadkill goulash with goats sour cream last week... :yum:
None in Scotland (yet...). I have so far not had the guts to pick up road kill pheasants (which is usuallly the only one I find that would be remotely edible), as they often look really mangled...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS