Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do you have to be 'well off' to buy/rent a smallholding?  (Read 41834 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Re: Do you have to be 'well off' to buy/rent a smallholding?
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2013, 09:05:43 am »
 :fc: for you  :thumbsup:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2013, 10:23:21 am »
Well done you   :thumbsup: that's brilliant!!   If you want something enough than its surprising how you can make it work.
Good luck  :hshoe:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2013, 11:48:24 am »
I think you have to see the big picture the croft that dad has costs 500 a month 50 to 60 ace rs 2009 he was nearly bank rupt .I gave my job up and came to Scotland for a new life i had a hotel  in paignton Devon sea front no debt  .I do all the selling and stock on the croft in that time i naw owe fore thousand pounds i have given it all naw i just dint no .We have 200 sheep chickins geese etc .The other half will have no think to do with it as she has  said its done move on . Dad has Parkinson's naw so i keep going for him .In my own right i can make a living not on the croft as i can do metal and wood work 2 or 3 days a week it would give me a good living . Iv said this before you have to have a good plan the chickins i hatch and breed they made no money again .The turkeys geese Christmas 2010 made good money feed costs cost us long winter. 2013 spring 80 lambs to sell Easter deep snow 60 sheep  killed prophet gone .Grass 2013 very low no think to sell .The bees 12 hives only 4 lived spent over a thousand to put right .Naw going for 40 to 50 hives the next big thing naw building the new hives just naw . Just remember Whit you are getting into .The estate that owns the croft are very good but its hard with the maintenance that you have to do as a tenant crofta in Scotland . The hobbey  could split you up if you dont separate youre self from it .The other half pays the feed bills and says i need help keeping this going and naw christmas a nother wast of cash .
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 11:56:30 am by Victorian Farmer »

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2013, 07:43:31 am »
For us it was deciding exactly what you wanted out of the property... a business to give you an income, to be self sufficient or just to keep a few animals.  We fall into the last category but thought we would need a couple of acres.  It wasnt until we visited a friends house ( known him for 10 years plus but always met at shows etc )  and realised he was doing what we wanted to do but on less ground.... changed search parameters and within 3 weeks( very lucky) found our place... 1/2 acre of paddock with it so plenty for chickens, pigs growing on and veg plot .
Also how much work are you willing to do/mess willing to put up with?  our house was more than some would take on... we like rough camping and for the first few months( at start of winter :gloomy: ) it wasnt much different being in the house.

If you are in no hurry, search and keep searching, places come up all the time, you just have to be persistent or lucky or both

Ray Baxter

• Joined Aug 2013
  • The Scottish Borders
  • Proud to be a smallholder
    • New Mains Smallholding
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 09:55:38 pm »
No - but you may need to make changes to make it happen. The question/answer is really a very personal one and relates to your life goals and how living the life of a smallholder fits with those.

This is now our fourth year and it has been a brilliant thing to do. We couldn't afford to do it - but have made it happen by moving to an area that has cheaper land prices and bought a derelict hovel and had a great deal of change/uncertainty/work to deal with. Do we regret it - not for a minute. I sometimes wish that we had made it happen sooner - however it is was a huge transition to make. Many people rent smallholdings and make things work and they are very happy too.

One of the real difficulties that many smallholders have is making the smallholding pay for itself - creating a sustainable business! that is our challenge. At present we can only live this life because we have other employment. We look forward to the day when the smallholding supports us rather than the other way round. The amount of work that is needed to get there shouldn't be underestimated. The issue of financial sustainability is also connected to your question. I think I am starting to wander from your question so shall leave it here, but wish you the very best with your dreams. Ray

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS