Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fruit trees  (Read 40135 times)

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
fruit trees
« on: February 20, 2008, 11:47:58 pm »
Hi , we have just ordered 7 fruit trees to plant out the back  (apples/pears/plumand cherry) - any tips on the best way to plant / stake / start off etc? any suggestions greatly received :)
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
Re: fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:32:25 am »
hey, not any advice on planting the trees im afraid just thought id say that wilkinsons are selling fruit trees for £5 we got my oh's mum a cherry tree for mothers day (2nd march!) we thought they were a bit of a bargain unless you want more mature trees!

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:37:52 pm »
That sounds great - what a bargain , are you sure they are not just old raspberry canes with a cherry blue tacked on!! :D only joking , what age are they? mine are 2.5 years old

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:25:46 am »
i dont know how old they are im afraid.... the cherry tree we brought (inc root) is about 1.5 metres high so thats about 5 (ish) foot i think! so not a sapling but i dont know how long it will take to produce fruit! it does look like a bit of a weedy twig but has plenty of new growth on it! our olive and lemon trees have started to produce goodies this year just got to resist temptation and leave them on for a little longer!  ;D

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:39:07 am »
We are starting an orchard down in our bottom field.  Last year about the end of February we planted 8 trees, 2 apple, 2 pear, 2 plum and 2 cherry.  We planted them with bonemeal and dried horse manure (fumier cheval) and put in stakes about the same height as the trees.  When we bought them the chap at the garden centre pruned them back fiercely (they ended up basically as twigs) but luckily they took well and we soon had nice bushy little trees and we even had a single pear.  This year we are going to add some more, in particular peaches.  Fingers crossed we get more than a single pear this year!
Hilary

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 07:51:46 pm »
stephen- wow , olive tree!! that sounds great - are they easy to get established? sounds a bit more daring than my attempts at the standard varieties :D - sounds like you got a real bargain with your trees though - well done you :)

Well hilbillie you know what they say " from small acorns great oaks grow!!" or in your case hopefully pears etc - good luck ;)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 08:06:57 pm »
wilkinsons are selling fruit trees for £5

You mocking me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think i have ever found them up here lol

I love this shop always have to visit it when i visit my mummsy

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 09:19:51 pm »
Lidl sometimes has fruit trees really cheap.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 09:26:27 pm »

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 04:01:44 pm »
wow - they are cheap - alas i couldnt bring myself to buy anything from a competitor - i have my sales budget to think of!!lol

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 07:33:13 pm »
hehe i have to get a pear has i only got one pear the last time and i think i need to get another one if i am to get any fruit from them (in this weather i daught it) lol

linz

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 12:56:07 pm »
The olive was brought quite mature already and lived in a huge pot by the table and chairs in the garden, my oh and i transplanted it about 8 months ago into the garden and it got regurlar mounds of chicken 'presents' slopped ontop of it and its producing loads of olives this year! the frost weve had dosent seem to of done it any harm at all! am well chuffed!!

linz - im popping back to wilkos today to see what other bargains they have as im only doing a half day hehe i think you can shop online at www.wilko.co.uk

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 10:54:57 pm »
Good ole' chicken poop!! - 1001 uses :D What kind of size has the tree grown to?

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 07:53:46 am »
it is more of a bush shape rather than a tree! its about 1.5 metres (about 4/5 ft) wide and about the same in height!  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS