Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apple tree won't grow up  (Read 452 times)

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
Apple tree won't grow up
« on: March 10, 2024, 03:55:00 pm »
I keep cutting off the lower horizontal branches but they grow back with a force, I want the tree to grow up and out of the way so I can get the lawn mower around it easily. Any suggestions? :relief:

PS I was going to add a photo but the file was too large, an issue I've had before has this been an issue with any one else, any way to get around it?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Apple tree won't grow up
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 04:35:22 pm »
Might be the type?  All my fruit trees are on dwarf rooting stock so I can reach the fruit (and the dogs can too of course  :innocent:)

As to photos the limit is 2 megabytes per photo, with a total of about four mb if you post more than one. 

So you need to reduce the size before posting - open in an image programme (like paint) by taking it in from the corners (pic one I, dragged in from the right to hide my address on Smallholding Scotland OSCR page )to remove a bit of the surround -  or by resizing, pic two is a screen shot of the drop down menu for resize - try it at 50% and check the size after saving
HTH
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 05:11:35 pm »
My first thought it is a dwarf variety, so the root stock won't support vertical growth. Perhaps just leave it and only cut the shoots from the base (the root)?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 06:12:36 pm »
I keep cutting off the lower horizontal branches but they grow back with a force, I want the tree to grow up and out of the way so I can get the lawn mower around it easily. Any suggestions? :relief:

PS I was going to add a photo but the file was too large, an issue I've had before has this been an issue with any one else, any way to get around it?

What is the apple variety and how tall right now please!  (Of course, as chrismahon suggested, you might have a very dwarfing root-stock, say M27 stock, but - thinking aloud - supporting a vigorous grafted variety ??)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 06:21:12 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS