Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wind-proof fruit  (Read 31372 times)

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
Wind-proof fruit
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:50:32 pm »
Suggestions please for soft fruit that is likely to thrive in a damp and windy climate (Orkney). I've grown raspberries, strawberries, goosberries and various currants with some success in Shropshire, but this is a whole different box of fish.

There are some (long neglected) goosberry and currant bushes on our croft, but I would love to know whether raspberries in particular would manage in the damp, blustery (although largely frost-free) conditions. . . or have I got to buy a polytunnel.

Ideas would be most welcome.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Wind-proof fruit
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 12:19:24 pm »
Okay gooseberries according to http://users.myonline.be/~tdn12074/cultureguide.html need to be placed in a sheltered area

For gooseberry culture they are trained as cordons.
Gooseberries flower early, so the flowers can be damaged by (night) frost starting from - 3°C. So it's best to place them in a sheltered position, or to choose late flowering varieties. The bushes can tolerate temperatures of - 18°C. Some gooseberry varieties have an interesting autumn colouring of the leaves…

the like a lot of humas

My gooseberrys gave me about 4 this year, they are in a very sheltered area in the back garden surrounded my four brick walls but they are also in a frost pocket.
if i find any thing more i'll let you now.

Raspberries are well adapted to live in scotland just google 'Can you grow raspberries in scotland'
http://www.geocities.com/green_cache/raspberries.html take a look at this page.
Also found that raspberries are senative to salt spray.

Raspberries, Blackberries and Loganberries: are all very soft and whippy and need support from wires in a fairly sheltered site. They all produce fruit on second year’s growth except autumn fruiting raspberries, which are quite useful for Orkney where spring shoots can be lost to gales and they are still able to re-grow new shoots for fruiting in autumn. They are all planted in rows needing a stout fence post at each end with three wires stretched between them to support the canes. The shoots are fanned out and tied to the wires. With autumn raspberries remove these shoots the following winter. With the others each winter the stems that have fruited can be removed.  this was found at another site which might be interested in ? http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:xTGgEJaXTV0J:www.orkneycommunities.co.uk/EMG/Documents%255CPRUNING%2520SHRUBS.doc+what+raspberries+to+uses+in+orkney&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

Also grow currants in the same place too forgot to say they are in pots.

Instadenly i also have a hardy black grape growing in my garden, thought i lost it last year but was too busy to 'chuck it out' and It started to grow again lol

possible worth a contact ? http://www.agronomy.uhi.ac.uk/ might be able to help you out.
Am not an expert an i don't i have anything like the weather you get am jus on central scotland near the forth.
Linz
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 03:55:31 pm by fluffywelshsheep »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 03:40:07 pm »
We've a pretty windy site by the tidal bit of the River Forth. We grow blackcurrants, gooseberries and raspberries with some success. The raspberries have to be well tied in or they take a bit of a beating but the gooseberries and the blackcurrants are fine. We may not, very likely, be as windy as your site and although the river is tidal here it's not noticably salty.

Waterlogging seems to be the major threat to plants, but good drainage, plenty manure along with some shelter seems to be what you need.

There's a new variety called Polka, which sounds really good. It's a Polish variety with high yields, good disease resistance and excellent flavour. Or "Autumn Bliss" has short canes that don't need staking in a "normal" garden, so they might be worth considering for a windy site.

I love raspberries - fresh on bran flakes with whole milk, yummy, If I coudl grow one fruit in the garden it woudl be raspberries - better than strawberries any day. So I hope you manage to grow them too.

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 10:42:43 am »
Thanks both. It looks like wind and salt (we are only half-a-mile from the sea in two directions) are going to be the main issues.

We have a couple of sheltered spots, but in the long-run I reckon a poly-tunnel will be the only real answer.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:26:39 pm »
you could also try fencing ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS