Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: costs  (Read 13833 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: costs
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 08:39:22 am »
Hughesy, I am pleased if I get our pork etc. for nothing, having covered costs. I don't cost in my time and effort.
I hope these price increases won't lead to folk feeding pigs illegally :-\

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 09:44:38 am »
Hughesy, I am pleased if I get our pork etc. for nothing, having covered costs. I don't cost in my time and effort.
Hi Sylvia  :wave:
This was the reason I started the Poll last week - I think putting "waste" food into landfill is just crazy, both ecologically & economically - I, for one, would like to see the regulations change  :fc:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 10:12:14 am »
Well iv read all naw 1940s farm on the telly they never had all the food mentioned they had a pig club .Iv made my mind up Whit i will do to help .The lads that take barley at £120 a ton IL keep to that for 12 months .As said the sheds have been burnt on some holdings as well as chickin huts i can say it will be very hard if winter comes in October having no rest in September The big problem will be the cheaper foods so ya grain etc will make bread and stuff expensive .But in war time they done it of a recession the first world war .SO members don't give in just like that save our lovely British pigs .

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 01:12:19 pm »
Yes "Pig for Britain" or was it "Dig for Britain". :pig:
I tried to look up "Pig Flour" on the sellers web site as asked by Rispain farm. No ingredients are listed but they call it a supliment as it contains minerals ( good for calcium) and essential proteins.

We have a pig club . No rules or agreements but he neighbours drop off stuff as they know they get stuff back ( including pork chops and a small roast). Yesterday we got 2 buckets of peaches for the pigs BUT we kept one for ourselves ( nice jam). :eyelashes: i
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 01:40:17 pm »
That is very much how we've looked at it up to now. We've thought long and hard though and decided to get things onto a more businesslike footing. Keeping pigs is too much of an investment in time and money to just be a hobby.
We ought to be buying meat pigs at the markets instead of rearing our own but that'd be cheating.

robert waddell

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 02:04:47 pm »
hughesy is the first one with any seance        Debbie and Andrew sausages did rear there own to start with  then the light was switched on  and get everybody else to produce to there standards fix the price and it is proffit all the way    except for the pig rearer :farmer:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 11:10:36 am »
I am always amazed that when you sell to neighbours (not family, they know!) they think their pork should be cheaper, after all you get it all for "free" ::) ::)  Same for eggs etc.

Tell me about it. I have one friend who despite the very fact that we have an honesty box outside our house, comes to the back and very carefully puts the money in my hand, counting it out.   I know she is expecting me to say don't bother. 

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 11:01:39 am »
Looking at various websites there a helluva lot of pigs for sale at the moment, especially sows & weaners. It seems to be nationwide as well which is very worrying. I fear there will be a lot of pigs culled, on the GOS website alone there are four sows from one of our rare bloodlines that if not sold will end up as cull trade. Very worrying times ahead. :gloomy:
mandy  :pig:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 01:50:30 pm »
You can all shout me down if you want, but I believe that  too many people are breeding. Piglets are sold for very little because they can't get rid, this in turn does the reputable breeders who think about their strategy for breeding and often can shift piglets quickly no favours at all, as customers then think they should sell for the same cheap price as others. Plus there are so many pigs out there which are absolute c..p being used for breeding, its worrying. Like anything there are highs and lows in selling piglets but rather than wait until the market picks up, pig owners keep breeding and breeding even in the low periods.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 02:07:28 pm »
You're probably right rispainfarm. The root of the problem is that there are too many pigs, too many breeders and when people sell out of desperation for a very low price everyone thinks that's the going rate and want to buy at that price all the time. Trouble is who is to say who should and who shouldn't. It's a free market and we all have to find our way through it somehow.

robert waddell

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 03:11:33 pm »
no probablys about it rispainfarm is correct         meat weaners kept on to breed from because they bought them cheap         then crossed with whatever is available     then the reality of 22 piglets to feed and shift     and they are glad to get shot of them  at any price

even on this forum you read about the new into pigs breeders  don't know what drugs they are on   no matter what you say to them they think the pig path is paved with gold       and yes there is one hell of an amount of crap out there :farmer:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2012, 05:47:53 pm »
no probablys about it rispainfarm is correct         meat weaners kept on to breed from because they bought them cheap         then crossed with whatever is available     then the reality of 22 piglets to feed and shift     and they are glad to get shot of them  at any price

even on this forum you read about the new into pigs breeders  don't know what drugs they are on   no matter what you say to them they think the pig path is paved with gold       and yes there is one hell of an amount of crap out there :farmer:

If you are referring to me, yep I kept on the store pigs to breed. They looked sound and the sow produced big litters.  I also kept them because the abbotoir thought the boars carcasses were excellent and the offspring crosses should finish quickly.  I am not daunted by shifting the finished pigs.  I may be a bit green breeding but selling I am not.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS