Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: costs  (Read 13859 times)

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: costs
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 11:36:22 am »
Where I keep my pigs there is a fair amount of land to use and the farmer is willing to plough and seed. We had a plan to let our pigs strip graze, however upon lots of discussion about what would be suitable, it really seemed that green veg was the only way forward and only for dry sows.  Mangels or sugar beet would have been a disaster as the pigs would have put on fat in no time at all, especially out large blacks.  If ONLY they took what they needed  :roflanim:
Anyway we will be putting our pigs out on a 2 acre veg area after most of it has been harvested (tops cut etc) and I am going to ask the local farmers if I can have a small sugar beet load, to supplement some nuts (super carefully :) )  I am foraging too but the apples don't seem to be that great, nor the feed carrots either.   

I am keeping most of my pigs on very low protein anyway which is helping costs. I'm phoning my BOCM Paul supplier today to see what is what.....i am dreading the news!     Loose feed would be great....it is just getting around the storage issues. 

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 12:03:07 pm »
Can I just ask a question for Mak and mandy and anyone else who feeds alternative feed, how do you keep check on protein levels etc and what benefit the pigs are getting.  Are you feeding this alternative feed in conjunction to bagged feed and do you notice a difference in how your pigs are thriving. Or are you feeding this feed as an alternative to bagged food
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 12:07:45 pm »
I feed in conjucnction with bagged 16% protein nuts, i aim on 3-4lb of adlib alternatives equals 1lb of nuts, i use it mainly with my stock pigs and feed to eye which of course comes with experience, i have one or two lardies who need to lose weight anyway and two sows dry at the mo getting back in condition to go back to the boar, i think you have to know your stock well to feed like this.
Mandy :pig:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 12:10:59 pm »
mandy sending you a pm :)
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 12:47:18 pm »
Sorry if I was a bit naive and did not take on board that many have jobs , children and many other things to fill their day. It is of course a lot different when one has time on their hands.
In answer to the above question I too add nuts or a compliment flour to their veg, bread, eggs or potatoes. I titrate thir nuts based on what mix they are given. Nuts are reduced if they have protein from other stuffs. From October I have to cook up the spuds/swede on an open fire and I will add pig flour to swell overnight before adding whatever veg we have grown for them.

Pigs are very competative when they eat and they are also good at selecting what they can eat quicker and what has greater nutritional value. My 2 pigs eat at diferent rates so I lean over their trough and scatter nuts at different rates for each pig - this is not always succesfull though  ;D . They eat from the trough twice a day, graze/root outside and get weeds, rosehips, apples, walnuts as treats. Although sisters the more energetic eater of the 2 is of course bigger. They will get  Chestnuts and acorns soon ( and maybe some brewers grains) as I prepare them for a December kill.
So the bottom line is that I do not weigh their food as it is impossible to guess how much an individual actually consumes. I try and ensure each gets the same and I adjust what they get from feed to feed based on how they appear and what we have available. I can not control what the old ladies in the village feed them although they have all kept pigs and they know not to include the naughty stuff from their kitchens.
I am unsure if their growth rate is different to pigs fed on just nuts and I can determine the size rather than age that they are ready to be killed. The fat content seems just right for us. My neighbour, who breeds Limousin pink veal, must like it too as he has asked me to keep a pig for him next year.
Rather a long post but maybe this answers your question rispainfarm.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 12:54:58 pm »
A long post MAK but very interesting reading, i see you also feed by eye which again is down to experience. thanks for lots of good feeding info and before anyone says it yes i now he's in French France!
Mandy :pig:

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 01:31:42 pm »
My last lot of bagged feed came in at £395 a ton, the one before was £335! I think we can just about make the pigs viable at £400 a ton by passing on a lot of the price increase to customers but given it may go higher I can't see many people buying half a pig at £200+

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 02:48:31 pm »
I've just telephoned our supplier (Argo Feeds) and the price has gone up, I was initially quoted £8.18/25kgs but when ordering a tonne it comes down to £7.95/25kgs

The last order a month or so ago I paid £7.65/25kgs

Therefore the price per tonne has gone from £306 to £318
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

chickenfeed

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 03:02:26 pm »
last weeks delivery was £317 a ton 7 weeks before that £312 so not as bad as we had thought....although this is just the start of the rise, i cant help but think some of the increase is due to greed our local feed merchant was telling everyone feed will rise buy upto £100 before the new year due to poor wheat harvest ok i understand that but the following week my grass nuts had gone up by 90p ???? we are inundated with grass hay is not selling as there is so much of it around here, i am just glad i dont buy anything other than grass nuts from them.
predictions for 2013 is pork will rise by 31% due to eu & uk supplies being out stripped whilst beef will rise by 8%.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 03:50:31 pm »
If the supermarket price of pork goes up as predicted we can more easily increase our prices. Wether Joe Public will still buy is a different matter. It's a fact that costs are rocketing and we have to react one way or another. No one was ever going to get rich selling half pigs to friends and neighbours anyway. You've got to find a way to get proper  prices for what you produce and/or add value in some way to increase your margins.

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 04:24:43 pm »
Hope you got my email mandy  :wave:

www.porkyquines.co.uk

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 06:31:09 pm »
If the supermarket price of pork goes up as predicted we can more easily increase our prices. Wether Joe Public will still buy is a different matter. It's a fact that costs are rocketing and we have to react one way or another. No one was ever going to get rich selling half pigs to friends and neighbours anyway. You've got to find a way to get proper  prices for what you produce and/or add value in some way to increase your margins.

Whenever I sell halves whoever to, I make sure I make a profit.  I just remember all those dark mornings in winter, with a pick axe getting through ice in the troughs. If feed prices go up, I just explain and give them a rise in price.  When I sat to sell, I always give an estimated price anyway.  My next move will be to ask for deposits, so I am not left with halves to store, and to use a proper invoice book!   

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 07:06:48 pm »
Thanks for your long reply, as mandy says interesting reading. One last question, what is pig flour.? :)

www.porkyquines.co.uk

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 08:01:03 pm »
I am always amazed that when you sell to neighbours (not family, they know!) they think their pork should be cheaper, after all you get it all for "free" ::) ::)  Same for eggs etc.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 09:02:35 pm »
£100 a ton going up to £200 a ton...... thats what they said on a farming prog radio 4 5.45am.... not my figures but a large pig producer...... maybe he buys 50 ton at a time??.... so after this years grain is in then i suppose the 20 klo bag will double as well..... lets see in 6 months time if that pig farmer was bluffing.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:16:18 pm by harry »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS