Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piglet indoors-what to do next?  (Read 2207 times)

SMarshall

• Joined Feb 2012
Piglet indoors-what to do next?
« on: September 27, 2012, 07:51:24 am »
Hi

We got back from hols to a new litter of Mangalitzas but at 6 days old found piglet in the arc dragging her back legs around. It looks like her mum (a new mum that was slightly overweight) had trodden on her and damaged her back/nerves hence the little one not being able to use her legs. The decision was made to to remove her, bring her in and give anti-inflams & antibiotics and see how she did before deciding whether we needed to put her to sleep. 

Well 8 days later we have a whirling dervish of a very sweet piglet who can be very demanding if she doesn't get her own way! :-) She'll jump out of her box if she wasn't want to be in it and wakes us up at night for feeding before running circuits of the room to explore and try to dig through any clothes left on the floor. The OH is even taking her to work where she gets to run around the office and collapse next to a radiator to sleep (piccie to follow if i can attach it) - thankfully it's his company!

So what so we do with her next?

I'm thinking about putting her in a large dog crate for the next stage with an end made into a bed area, plenty of straw, a non slip mat (her back legs can sometimes struggle on slippery surfaces) and milk for her to help herself to. 

But really looking for advice on how we get her back outdoors. I'm assuming we can't put her back in with mum and siblings (and after all the work to get her back on all fours would be worried about her) but could we get her into an outside/enclosed pen to get her acclimatised to the weather around week 4-6 (we she be ok on her own?) and then put her in with her sibs come weaning? Will her sibs be ok with her and accept her? 

Our baby is due in 8 wks (if I'm not early) and we really need to start getting organised (and any extra sleep if possible) which doesn't include piglets in the house! Well not yet!

Thoughts please.

Many thanks,
Steph

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Piglet indoors-what to do next?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:52:48 am »
Hiya Steph  :wave:
Personally, I would try & reintegrate her asap - better for her & you (especially in your condition).
If you can, take mum away from the piglets & give her a quick snack (or remove piglets if you can't) while mum's eating, spray all the piglet (along their backs) with deoderant (so they all smell the same).  Leave them together until mum's eaten, then put mum back in. 
 :fc: Hopefully, she will settle to feed the piglets & your wee gilt will naturally go for the milk-bar with her siblings.  If all goes well at this stage, keep a VERY close eye on them for the next hour - if they are ok together, then all should be ok.  Try not to fuss about too much (I'm a fine one talking  ;)  ) but be prepared to wade-in & get her out if there's any problems.
Let us know how it goes  :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:20:38 am »
Ditto what Lynne's just said  ;)

Good luck with your (2 legged) baby  :thumbsup:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:15:47 am »
Ditto what Beewytched has said i personally :-J favour Chanel No5, tad expensive but they smell gorgeous  :roflanim:
Mandy  :pig:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 03:25:26 pm »
Ditto what Beewytched has said i personally :-J favour Chanel No5, tad expensive but they smell gorgeous  :roflanim:
- so it's not you that's high maintenance then Mandy - it's your pigs  :roflanim:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 07:28:30 pm »
- so it's not you that's high maintenance then Mandy - it's your pigs  :roflanim:

I believe thats what my OH says! :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS