Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Foxes  (Read 2659 times)

cyfareddol

• Joined May 2009
Foxes
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:41:40 pm »
I have kept a few chickens for many years in a rural  area where there are foxes, badgers, otters, polecats and buzzards.
In twenty five years have lost a few hens to predators because I have not shut them in at night, except for the loss of four hens attacked by a buzzard.
The hens have a wooden shed to roost in and  a wire run for winter and when it's too wet to forage outside.
They enter the run from outside via a pophole or the door and the roosting shed via a pop hole about 450mm from the ground  which has a curtain made from polythene strips similar to those on industrial buildings but on a miniature scale.  This was intended to keep sparrows out of the hen house. The hens soon learnt to go through it.
Early last year a predator, I think a fox, chewed through the wire netting around the run and made a neat body sized hole.  It did not take any hens. Since then I have not shut the hens in at night.
Two days ago I put a broody hen into a separate pen beside the run and last night a fox chewed through the wire netting and took the hen.  I found some reddish fur on the wire. Again no losses in the roosting shed.
The only explanation I have for this is that the polythene curtain deters foxes from entering  the hen house.  I know that foxes are very wary of anything that could be a trap or snare and would be suspicious of anything unfamiliar. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Foxes
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:14:28 am »
Yes, I agree, teh poly door is what is keeping teh fox at bay.  They like to get in fast, and get out fast.  If tehy can't see the way out they won't go in.
I think I will try to make doors like that on my sheds.  Thanks for the idea
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Foxes
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:22:30 pm »
What a brilliant idea!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS