Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Edible fox kills?  (Read 3232 times)

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
Edible fox kills?
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:50:03 pm »
just went out to lockup the chooks and ducks to see a fox with one of my girls in his mouth. managed to scare him off but she was beyond saving. on closer inspection he got another duck and my rooster. (b@st@rd). was just wondering would they be ok to eat. one has puncher wounds to her shoulder the other her neck. the rooster is a beheaded right off so dont think i would consider eating him. if the fox had a disease could i contract it.

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Edible fox kills?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 09:19:28 pm »
As they're fresh kills,and as long as the intestines hadn't been punctured spilling into the cavity,I'd eat 'em. You're going to be cooking at 180*C for a few hours anyway,can always nuke it first for a bit.

PS. I take no responsibility if ya get food poisoning!   ;D
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 09:30:15 pm »
Times are getting a bit tough but I draw the line at roadkill..Wouldn't fancy it myself but hay! it's a meal.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 09:52:34 pm »
cheers guys but the girlfriend was a bit upset at the thought of me eating our "pets" so i had to bury them. shes making little crosses for them tomorrow lol

hey nothing wrong with a little roadkill saying that id probably give it a miss if it was riddled with maggots. had pheasant there about 3 weeks ago.delicious.

G0MZS

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:44:29 pm »
Just remember that fox eat anything weeks dead and their mouth is a bed of poison..... I wouldn't eat it.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 09:25:56 pm »
My dog also eats rotten carcasses.  However, when my son was being weaned, my dog caught and killed a pheasant so I cooked it up and it was Oliver's first taste of meat! 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS