Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need for low protein food for breeding pigs. lesson learnt  (Read 19084 times)

robert waddell

Re: Need for low protein food for breeding pigs. lesson learnt
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2012, 09:46:05 am »
to go back to your original post   and the start of all the replies      your vet is an eminent pig vet  but cant tell that a pig is in pig     that could in part be due to not keeping accurate records of when the gilts went to the boar    if i were you i would be going on westmoorland show site and look for pictures  of john sutcliffs champion sow   she was big
 :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2012, 10:08:05 am »
Just got to position the massively heavy insulated arks and move the ladies in the trailer.
Is moving them in a trailer your only option ? Is there no way they could walk the distance ?
Depending on how used to the trailer they are, it could be quite stressful for them. I try to avoid moving mine in a trailer for the first and last 4 weeks of pregnancy.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2012, 11:08:31 am »
Just got to position the massively heavy insulated arks and move the ladies in the trailer.
Is moving them in a trailer your only option ? Is there no way they could walk the distance ?
Depending on how used to the trailer they are, it could be quite stressful for them. I try to avoid moving mine in a trailer for the first and last 4 weeks of pregnancy.

I'll have a good think about that.....it's not far to go and there is electric either side (other paddocks and veg crop areas) a bit of a distance but which she will be wary of. Then it is just a case of getting her into the courtyard.  The most difficult part will be convincing her to go over the electric fence line/gate. It won't be there but they always seem to be so wary of inching forward.

We have actually found a brilliant space for her to farrow and stay in as long as needs be (although it would be good to get her in the farrowing ark asap afterwards) A kind of indoor/outdoor area.  Well sheltered and where we can get  a heat lamp into the corner and a creche area set up. A nice space :)    Just in the middle of prep now but needed a break. Typically we were up in the night....my little chap had nightmares. Has never happened before but hey presto when we have so much to do today ...

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2012, 11:11:26 am »
to go back to your original post   and the start of all the replies      your vet is an eminent pig vet  but cant tell that a pig is in pig     that could in part be due to not keeping accurate records of when the gilts went to the boar    if i were you i would be going on westmoorland show site and look for pictures  of john sutcliffs champion sow   she was big
 :farmer:

Think that is a tad unfair.gilts can show late, very late as he did mention.  Gilt went to boar on the jubilee. Party in the paddock.

robert waddell

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2012, 12:55:48 pm »
gilts as with most young stock show earlier than mature ones
by my calculation if she was served on going to the boar she is due on or from 26 September :farmer:

chickenfeed

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2012, 02:16:00 pm »
gilts as with most young stock show earlier than mature ones
by my calculation if she was served on going to the boar she is due on or from 26 September :farmer:

i agree with robert gilts will show earlier than sows. i dont think i would trust a vet if he cant tell a fat pig from one in pig. if i were you i would be ringing him to tell him my fat pig had farrowed.

HappyHippy

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2012, 06:09:05 pm »
I'll have a good think about that.....it's not far to go and there is electric either side (other paddocks and veg crop areas) a bit of a distance but which she will be wary of. Then it is just a case of getting her into the courtyard.  The most difficult part will be convincing her to go over the electric fence line/gate. It won't be there but they always seem to be so wary of inching forward.
You've probably tried this already, but putting a straw 'path' over where the electric fence was sometimes helps  ;)

Your indoor/outdoor area sounds ideal (and hey, I can sympathise about trying to get stuff done with kids  ::) I have 4  :o :D) We keep the piglets in for at least a week normally then, as long as it's reasonably dry & mild, get them out into the field with mum - in the wet, damp, cold weather we tend to keep them in a little bit longer  :thumbsup:

I found my OSB gilt didn't show til about 10 days before she farrowed first time round, since then it's been easy to spot  :innocent: But every pig is different and just when you think you've got them all figured out they go and do something to surprise you  ::) Pigs eh, gotta love 'em  :roflanim:
Keep us posted with developments, and photo's.......... we all love piglet piccies  :excited: :excited: :excited:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2012, 06:51:17 pm »
We have had tamworth gilts that don't show until the last minute. ;D
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2012, 07:34:32 pm »
We've had a pretty eventful weekend. We gave the trailer a go, in the end as we were tight for time.  thankfully no problems at all, she loaded like a dream (literally straight uop).  The gilt is now in her new space, with tarpaulin hung up to keep this horrible weather out.  We've rigged up a good lamp and she's got some lovely fresh barley straw. Various people around the farm come to see her and give veg, treats etc  :innocent:, and she seems very happy.  Quite talkative but then happily busying herself with nest building.  She managed to pull off some of the barn's timber frame to add to her abode   :o

Amazingly, we met someone today who was an ex pig farmer in the States. He had 1700 Hampshires when he was younger. Just got chatting basically, then he came over to see our girl.  Good news for us..... He reckoned she was 'just fine looking'   :love:, just how she should be at this stage and not to worry about the weight as all of it would fall off anyway.  He thinks that she is not as close to pig as we think, not Monday anyway.   It would be nice if she had a bit more time to get used to her new surroundings.

Will keep you posted. This American farmer told me to be happy with 6-8 piglets the first time round, that's what they used to get.  Bigger litters later.

What a turnaround.  Going to the vets tomorrow   ;) got to get a medical kit together. 

Btw..... What calendar do people work to on here? I have seen 114 days to 119. I took my dates from Tony York's.  Guess it is not an exact science anyway....all down to mother nature. 

Cheers all. Very excited  :excited:.  School have given permission for my little chap to be hauled out at anytime to come and watch.  He's keen to camp out for the rest of the week and miss school altogether, cheeky whatsit

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2012, 08:15:13 pm »
Ours seem always to be a couple of days 'late' by the 3  months 3  weeks 3 days count. I think its mainly to give me a couple of sleepless nights beforehand to get me properly in the mood. Our eldest (4yrs) was keen to see the last farrowing so we woke him up and he came out in his pyjamas, wellies and coat for a look when it finally got going... There's something magical about sharing such experience with your kids so I hope yours gets to watch and maybe help.

princesspiggy

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2012, 08:48:47 pm »
http://www.gestationcalculator.com/other/pig-pregnancy-calculator

i use this one, but dorothy was a good 4 days late this year. too.  ;D ;D ;D
rem they dont all bag up, cos our pepper didnt until a about day 4 after they were born but she did have milk tho. just no boobies.

chickenfeed

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2012, 08:01:46 am »
114 days
there is a table on the net type in swine gestation table  if i remember rightly its showtime shires that published it but i cant find mine to check  :innocent:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:03:57 am by chickenfeed »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS