Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need for low protein food for breeding pigs. lesson learnt  (Read 19124 times)

robert waddell

Re: Need for low protein food for breeding pigs. lesson learnt
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 12:05:37 pm »
what surprises me more is      of the two breeds Mrs snoodles has  the Hampshire has went fat and the large blacks are in her  vets opinion just right       the Hampshire is world renowned as a lean pig     it could be he seen or her   a lot of washboard examples of pigs   

strange world    but then we are living in strange times :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 12:10:20 pm »
wer all intrigued - how about some fotos??  :eyelashes: :eyelashes:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 12:12:09 pm »
Good idea Julia  :thumbsup:
Piccys & measurements please  :wave:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 12:16:36 pm »
I would definitely go for different feeding patterns according to purpose.

Robert, these pigs are not from a pedigree litter. They were brought in as store pigs and we thought they looked pretty good, were aware of the sows history and went down the breeding path. No cutsie factor.  We are only breeding these for meat.

As you know they are the butchers favourite and get big very nicely.  Our thoughts were that we could get the litters to pork weight quickly, even outdoors. Less money spent means we could offer halves well reared, free range pork, gone to a local slaughterhouse at a really good price at a time when people are hard hit.

This is why we wanted to breed these pigs. We had no intentions of selling any weaners. We wanted all stock for meat.  They were put to the boar at the right time, and are sound with good teats and were fit and healthy. I have messed up, feeding them.  A pig fed for fattening is no go for breeding.
 My post is about feeding. Not breeding lineage. 
I don't think these pigs are crap stock. I've seen enough. My mistake was in their feeding regime   

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 12:18:48 pm »
what surprises me more is      of the two breeds Mrs snoodles has  the Hampshire has went fat and the large blacks are in her  vets opinion just right       the Hampshire is world renowned as a lean pig     it could be he seen or her   a lot of washboard examples of pigs   

strange world    but then we are living in strange times :farmer:

Not really strange at all. The Hampshires were fed for meat initially, then we changed our minds. The large blacks have always been considered as breeding stock so never ever got near high protein food. Simples.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 12:20:33 pm »

Would love to but have no idea how too. Working off an iPad as Internet works a bit better, although pretty dire anyway.

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 12:26:47 pm »
we feed them to live       it is what they do with the food that matters

if you have pure stock it does what it says on the label       without the cushion of a pedigree you cannot say for definate it is what breed you claim      there was a similar thread about the essex pig and that was blown out the water      sad and maybe a bit harsh for the poster  but there you go

commercial pigs are fed ad lib

and you have said it yourself you bought them as store pigs     and as the saying goes you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear :farmer:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 01:17:19 pm »

.  A pig fed for fattening is no go for breeding.

I must admit, I have never fed differently between breeding and fattening stock, I work by eye, and up or lower the food according to how the pig looks. I agree with Mr pig that too fat and it could be unlikely to get in pig, but otherwise I have never fed differently.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:20:36 pm by rispainfarm »
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 01:24:59 pm »

.  A pig fed for fattening is no go for breeding.

I must admit, I have never fed differently between breeding and fattening stock, I work by eye, and up or lower the food according to how the pig looks. I agree with Mr pig that too fat and it could be unlikely to get in pig, but otherwise I have never fed differently.
Me too Liz  :thumbsup: - feeding by eye is always the best way IMHO, especially with KKs.  I only differ it for nursing or weather/foraging conditions   :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

princesspiggy

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 03:14:08 pm »
i must be missing something here, iv only had british pigs so bear with me.
i know commercials are fed ablib as they r bred to put on muscle rather than fat.
i know hampshire are less likely to put on fat than british natives.

now have the hampshire grown too much muscle? or are they over weight?

if its the latter, u wouldnt want a fat pig or for breeding or meat,

anyhow chin up, we live and learn  :wave: :wave: think how good ul feel when u get it right next time!  ;D ;D

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 03:29:05 pm »
We feed our meat pigs and our show pigs, who are our breeding stock, different. Meat are kept on the leaner side so the meat isnt too fatty but the show pigs (breeders) are kept better covered. I dont understand how your Hampshires are no good for breeding? Just intrigued and interested to know the thinking behind it. I understand that if they are too fat and empty for too long they could find it difficult to get in pig. Could understand the other way round if it had been said they were too big for porkers but can't get the too big for breeding.  :)

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 04:00:12 pm »
unless raison the vet actually meant by saying they were too big, that they were in fact too fat, surely that would make more sense. It would be good if mrs snoodles elaborated on the big bit and explained what the vet actually meant by big, was it size or what??
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 06:07:25 pm »
If they are a bit overweight they will still get pregnant, might have a small litter but you can get weight off them easily when they are nursing. Don't put the feed up too much and they will use fat reserves to produce milk.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 08:34:35 pm »
We feed our pigs the same (low protein) feed too - our vet and our pig mentor said that traditional breeds of pig didn't need "high protein" feeds - these were developed for the very fast growing, lean commercial pigs. The only differences are:
 the young (growing) pigs get less fruit/veg in their diet until 5 months. Then the meat pigs get a bit more apple pomace to help them finish well.
The lactating sows get waste goats milk
The mangalitzas get less of everything except bulk as they put on fat so easily.
We feed by eye too - but it took us a few chubby pigs to learn. If you're struggling to estimate how fat your pigs are, and you've got a vet out to scan anything on your holding, get them to scan the back fat depth on your pigs - very educational! (Or you could "borrow" one from your local maternity unit - not that I'd ever do that, of course!) :innocent:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 11:31:37 am »
Tiva Diva....our vet said the same about modern foods, and they are seeing it across a variety of animals. Feed being too rich/good for youngsters and traditional breeds.  I am now on the hunt for an even lower protein feed or as, you have done, look at ways of mixing up the existing 16 percent with additional extras.

It's not a new way of thinking. I have working dogs and the debate surrounding the latest puppy foods and the early stages of growth in labradors is pretty hot. Obv doesn't relate to fat being laid down, but to muscle growth and detrimental weight on forming bone structures blah blah blah....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS