Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is everyone working on at the moment?  (Read 16365 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: What is everyone working on at the moment?
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 07:05:59 am »
Ah but when you become even more ancient MammyS, you wear your contact lenses all the time and then have to have reading glasses too  :-\ I have just given in and ordered several cheap pairs so I can have them on my desk at work, at home, in the car......

I couldn't go to Guild on Sat as it was forecast dry, Sun rain and I needed to gather my sheep. I'm so glad I did it that way round, boy did it rain yesterday. I'm glad I wasn't borrowing gravel in it  :-* Or wearing glasses while I worked with them, my mad gulmoget split my lip as it was  ::)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 07:27:41 am »
Ah but when you become even more ancient MammyS, you wear your contact lenses all the time and then have to have reading glasses too  :-\ I have just given in and ordered several cheap pairs so I can have them on my desk at work, at home, in the car......
:D  what great things to look forward to in a few years  ;D

Hope you are ok today regarding your damaged lip, ouch  :o

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 08:01:59 am »
Castle Farm,
I love your rugs.  I feel a new craft coming on  :excited:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2012, 05:10:31 pm »
Castle Farm, your rugs are amazing.  I can't believe they are rag rugs.  Well, I can but you know what I mean.   :roflanim:   Do you sell them?

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 08:12:24 pm »
My crafting seems to be split between knitting and crochet, anything I can do whilst doing uni work, which means the wheel is out (not good enough to read and spin yet!)

Currently crocheting two mock ups for my bridesmaids shawls, to decide on which wool.
Knitting my jumper for me (a test run before I knit one for the MIL  :fc:)
Still knitting my shawl which I started months ago...
Crocheting a Game of Thrones doll for my friends xmas prezzie
Knitting a hat for another friend's xmas prezzie
Knitting some slippers for me as an 'on the go' project
Annnnnd I've still been meaning to rip back a hat I finished last month that is too small and add another repeat in.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Nanashimoriko for piccies of my projects

Sometimes I think I may have too many projects on at once. *looks longingly at her wheel*

Dans  :knit:

ETA ravelry link
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:46:44 pm by Dans »
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2012, 09:41:03 am »
Dans, with all that on the go how do you manage uni work too?
I love the picture Lis slippers. Do you have a pattern you could share?
I am a bit suspicious of your own purple slippers though. It looks a bit like a thong to me  :roflanim:
Sally

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2012, 02:20:21 pm »
lol, if you look at how long it's taking me to get through it all you can see where the uni work fits in. And the simple knitting works well whilst reading papers.

lol that's exactly what the OH calls the slippers. He always says I'm knitting thongs! Have done 4 pairs of them now, put soles onto the ones for the MIL as she has difficulty walking. They are really simple to knit up and the pattern is free http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/118-10-slippers-in-rib. They do morph from being a thong to being little baskets before people realise they are slippers though.

Dans

PS if you're not on ravelry and I can't access the pattern I can send it to you.

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2012, 04:33:50 pm »
Dans,
I have recently joined Ravelry but when I click on the link it says "Uh oh, Sherbert couldn't find your page"
Can you send it please?

thanks
Sally

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2012, 01:00:56 pm »
I've just washed and dried the fleece from my 2 GFD lambs and am planning to turn them into a peg loomed rug. I was going to weave the wool in the raw, but may try to card it into rolags (?) and weave those instead. Have never tried anything like this before -I knit, but no carding, spinning or weaving.

My mum has given me an elderly rag rugging "machine" from the 1950's, still in it's original box. If I can work out how to work it, I may have a crack at rag rugging as well. Other than that, am still knitting a baby alpaca scarf, started last winter (I know, pathetic isn't it!) and looking at some gorgeous local Jacob's wool (3 colours) I bought last winter and planning what to do with it - other than just stroke it and admire it!
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2012, 01:08:31 pm »
ooo good luck Blackbird. I'd like to try peg loom rugs one day!

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2012, 01:23:11 pm »
I have asked OH to make me a peg loom for christmas So hopefully I will be trying peg looming next year  :excited:
Sally

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2012, 01:41:26 pm »
I've just washed and dried the fleece from my 2 GFD lambs and am planning to turn them into a peg loomed rug.

Oooh, do let us know how you get on Blackbird. I, briefly thought about doing the same with my pile of GFD fleeces, but then I remembered that there aren't 48 hours in the day. Ho Hum.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 02:53:40 pm »
I've just washed and dried the fleece from my 2 GFD lambs and am planning to turn them into a peg loomed rug. I was going to weave the wool in the raw, but may try to card it into rolags (?) and weave those instead. Have never tried anything like this before -I knit, but no carding, spinning or weaving.

When I was a weaver, I used to make rugs with unspun, unwashed wool which had been carded on a drum carder on a cotton warp on my four shaft table loom.  They would be washed afterwards.  They turned out very well and were one of our best sellers.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2012, 01:27:53 pm »
 :wave:   I'm back after a little break from TAS  8)

For the first time I am blocking a newly knitted jumper, with another one to do.  I have never done this before, but thought I should give it a go.   I have spread a damp towel on a sweater drying mesh thingy, pinned out the back (this one isn't knitted in the round, most unusual for me) then covered it with another damp towel.  It's in the boiler room so should all dry quickly, then I can do the fronts.

Is this how you all block your work ie have I done it right?   Is anyone else like me and doesn't usually do it?  :knit: :knit:

The second jumper is the sampler Aran.  It has a big multi cable bit up one sleeve which definitely needs to be blocked.  This one is in the round, so how best should I go about blocking that sleeve?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:30:37 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2012, 01:45:04 pm »
Fleecewife, I have knitted for years and until a couple of days ago thought that blocking meant pinning into shape and ironing it carefully. 
So in answer to your question, no, I have never blocked before. I am going to try doing it the proper way when I have a finished garment though. I expect it will give a more professional finish.
Let us know how yours goes.
Sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS