Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is everyone working on at the moment?  (Read 16355 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: What is everyone working on at the moment?
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2012, 03:28:23 pm »
Same here; I thought it was just pulling it about a bit when it's wet then drying it flat.

jaykay does it properly, I think - she'll tell us when she gets on if no-one else comes along beforehand.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2012, 09:42:34 pm »
When I was knitting stuff to sell, I used to steam the separate pieces then pin it out to shape on a board that was marked out in squares to get the right size.  Not sure it that is how you should do it but it worked for me.

For something knitted in the round, you could do the same.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2012, 12:11:42 am »
I've pinned it on a mesh drying thing, after measuring it to make sure it's all the right size.  The design means that the edges curl a bit so they are well held down and are the reason I decided to block it.

The particular problem with the circular Aran is that it has a complicated cable down one arm, which has tended to roll and pull the sides in a bit, so I couldn't think how to lie it flat.  But I think what might work is to roll up a damp towel and put it up the sleeve, then wrap another round the outside and leave it to dry.

I just have to finish sewing the crew neck over then it's otherwise done, just in time for our anniversary (apart from the blocking).  It's only taken me seven years to knit  :knit: :D    Or rather, I started it seven years ago then it lay in a bag while life dealt us some bad blows, and some good serendipity came our way.  :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:14:13 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2012, 09:40:36 pm »
I block using by those foam gym mats. Also blocking wires ( which are the same as some welding wires) and T pins. Wash, roll in a towel, march all over towel, unroll and pin out to the size and shape you want, using stuff listed above. Leave to dry fully.

Really not difficult nor even very time consuming. Just need somewhere to leave it where cats and dogs can't lie on it  ::)

I got hooked on the 'before and after blocking' thread on Ravelry. The lace shawls are amazing after blocking but even jumpers and scarves are way better. And so it proved.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2012, 10:03:44 am »
Jaykay, I have an unsued foam gym mat so will definitely be blocking when I finish the next item.
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2012, 10:20:03 pm »
Jaykay, I have an unsued foam gym mat so will definitely be blocking when I finish the next item.
thanks
Sally

I think most people have an unused gym mat.   :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS