Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is everyone working on at the moment?  (Read 16352 times)

HappyHippy

Re: What is everyone working on at the moment?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 09:29:31 pm »
I've been out catching mucky piglets to bring in for weaning - but now I'm off to make mucky pig soap  ;) ;D

Will report back with photo's in a couple of days - hope you'll like them  :fc: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 04:18:14 pm »
I have just started spinning on my new (old) wheel and have done little bits on my Cheviot tops (bought very cheap for learning, they are actually quite nice and soft), also on the drop spindle(s).

:knit: -wise, I have done the back of a navy blue (New Lanark wool) sleeveless top for my OH and it has a nice pattern with cables twisting all the way up, now I need to find the time (and willingness) to actually start the front and finish it!
Then I have a pair of socks (my first pair, commercial yarn) which is almost finished and I am actually quite proud of  :thumbsup:
Also a knitted cat toy for a friend's child, I only need to sew it and stuff it, then it's ready for delivery.

On top of that, there's the mixed crochet/knit for babies (my friends keep getting pregnant  :o ??? ::))

And of course my day in-day out job in the lab, which never leaves enough time/energy to do all I want to do!!!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 11:32:02 pm »

And of course my day in-day out job in the lab, which never leaves enough time/energy to do all I want to do!!!!

work does tend to get in the way, doesn't it?   :roflanim:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 11:46:48 pm »
Maybe this years bad weather has encouraged more people to spinning. I couldn't ever imagine being able to try spinning, let alone owning a wheel. Now Ihave a wheel bought a week ago and love it  :love:

I'm still working on perfecting my spin, on Saturday hopefully I'll be learning how to ply together then I can knit  :trophy:

OH already warned family that it'll be socks all round for gifts for Xmas ( maybe. Next year  moe likely ) .

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 11:18:06 am »
I'm really enjoying reading about what everyone is doing  :thumbsup: :wave:   So many busy people  :yippee:

I haven't progressed much with my spinning project, although I have tried a tiny bit of some Portugese Merino on my small bog-oak Turkish spindle.   It spins like a dream, from shoulder to floor without having to twirl again.  The merino is difficult to draw, not because it's not lovely and open, but because the staple is a bit short, and it needs far more twist than I'm used to putting in.  I have been rediscovering why drop spindles are called that, with several clatters on the floor  :-[ :-[

My sparkly shawl is creeping forward, and the silver addition looks just right.

I finished my super chunky vest top in record time - just have to sew it together, my least favourite bit.

My OH is getting on with building my Wool Shed (for storing fleece, washing and drying it and weaving floor rugs on my big loom, maybe using the Ashford loom for textiles too)  It's well away from the house and the road, so once it's done I won't be disturbed.  It has taken ages to get this far - the final roof truss should be ceremoniously raised on Saturday.  I am 'allowed' to help then by driving the tractor to raise the truss while my OH runs up and down the framework bolting it all into place.  I'm sure he was a monkey in a previous life  :roflanim:     I doubt the whole building will be finished and watertight before next year, by which time I will have forgotten how to warp up the loom........ :innocent:

Keep your updates coming - it's fascinating  :knit:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:20:18 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 12:36:43 pm »
Teabags. I am making bathmilk in teabags!  These are perforated bags that are filled with a magical blend including goats milk, essential oils and shea butter which you then allow to infuse in your warm bath  :)
There will be a 'plain' one with oats in the goats milk blend which I hope will help soothe Chicken pox and the like.  A little more work to perfect them and then I need to sort out pricing but aim to get these for sale for Christmas.
My 10 year old daughter is hoping to make my stepmum a top using her sewing machine and lots of imagination. Her middle school is planning a textiles after school club so hopefully Milli isn't the only one wanting to learn dressmaking skills and the club will go ahead  :fc:

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 01:43:26 pm »
Just finished embellishing the ceramic agate jewellery I made at pottery class.  Only require clasps for ribbon then ready to wrap for Christmas.  Wish I could afford my own kiln.
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 05:13:46 pm »
Plums, you might want to advertise your oats-and-goats-milk one on psoriasis and eczema sites, as that sounds very good for such sore skin - I've certainly used oats in the bath when my skin has been bad.

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 07:07:01 pm »
I've got into quilting over the past few months. Today I made the husband some combat ovengloves (he wanted manly ones and the camouflage fabric was deemed manly enough)
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z372/smallholderinthecity/Quilts/Ovengloves2.jpg
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z372/smallholderinthecity/Quilts/Ovengloves.jpg
The last big quilt I finished is my floral frenzy one
Here's the front
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z372/smallholderinthecity/Quilts/FloralFrenzysofaquilt.jpg
and the back
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z372/smallholderinthecity/Quilts/FloralFrenzysofaquiltback.jpg
I'm working on a very geometric design now with blocks of colour rather than patterned fabrics.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 07:09:50 pm »
I love the concentric quilting  :thumbsup: I used to quilt but it's got pushed to one side by spinning and knitting at the moment  :)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 08:50:35 pm »
Finished spinning on the second reel today. Learned how to ply the two together and used a niddy noddy ( love the name ) and made my first bundle of wool  :excited:  :excited:

Now to find a pattern to  :knit: it into something  :knit:  and start a new spinning bobbin  :excited:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 08:51:36 pm »
Love your quilting sitc, especially the floral quilt.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 08:55:11 pm »
Woohoo on your first yarn  :thumbsup:

Do you know about washing and 'snapping it' to finish it before you use it? (ignore me if so  :))

One of my favourite features about Ravelry is the ability to search patterns by yardage - ie I've got this much yarn, what can I make from it  ;D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 08:58:15 pm »
I was advised to just wash in soapy water but haven't heard of 'snapping'. Tell me more...  :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 09:40:08 pm »
Wash it very carefully in water a tiny bit hotter than you expect to wash the finished article in. A bit of detergent (never soap) to wet it. Lots of care not to swoosh it, or you'll felt it. Leave to soak for 10 mins so it gets wet right through. Lift it out very gently, change the water, lie it back on the clean water to rinse.

Lift it out, squeeze out the water. Then put your hands in the skein, at either end and snap them sharply outwards so you 'stretch' the skein, move your hands to different places and do it another couple of times. Hang to drip dry with a weight in it (spray bottles are good, hang them on the skein by the spray handle).

The snapping can be replaced by thwacking, if you have woollen spun. Take one end of the wet skein and thwack the other end against the bath or something. Retrieve cowering dogs from under the bed, repeat a couple more times. Hang to drip dry but without the weight.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS