Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is everyone working on at the moment?  (Read 16353 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
What is everyone working on at the moment?
« on: September 04, 2012, 11:41:22 am »
I suddenly feel like knitting again  :yippee: :knit:

Yesterday I started my Hebridean homespun plus silver thread shawl - I was sitting in a wormer presentation by Pfizer so I had to do something  ;D   :knit:

Then when I got home my new super chunky yarn and beautiful 10mm rosewood straight needles had arrived, so I have started a chunky waistcoat with them.  It knits up wonderfully quickly so I have done a good foot of the back already. :knit:

I haven't quite finished my homegrown but millspun Heb plus Alpaca jumper - just the yoke to complete. :knit:

Then as my OH keeps reminding me, I haven't quite finished his random Aran jumper from last year - I just need one more idea to complete it (by random Aran, I mean that I do small areas of various Aran stitches, so maybe some cabling, or a bit of bobbley, or different cabling, with the main jumper in stocking stitch)
This is his third random Aran, in yarn from New Lanark. :knit:

Last but by no means least, I have just one bobbin left to spin of the BFL tops I bought earlier for my repeat Fibonacci jumper.  I'm so nearly there but for the past few weeks just haven't felt like spinning.  Hopefully my revived interest in knitting means spinning will come back soon.   I'm sure if we had a spinning emotidoodah it would help  :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

What is everyone else working on?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:14:05 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: What is everyone working on at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:51:33 am »
My goodness Fleecewife, you are busy.
I am spinning coloured Ryeland fleece. Gosh there is a lot in one fleece. Not sure what I am going to do with it when finished but I have a nice book of crochet Aran jumpers so maybe one of those.
The various coloured wool that I dyed myself is currently being knitted into a fairisle tanktop. Its looking nice but I am not a very quick knitter.  :knit:
As a change I have just made some lemon lip balm from our own beeswax. I am very pleased with it so friends and family will all get a small pot (very small) in with their christmas presents.
I am going on a one day felting course at the end of next month so will probably dye some of the Castlemilk fleece I got from Tizaala to felt.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 12:19:08 pm »
I have several projects on the go, only small projects as I dont have a lot of patience . I dont knit, I can but the needles are too ' in the way' for me so I crochet. I love to do Irish lace crochet on fine needles and with fine cotton. I am crocheting beaded jug covers at the moment which I sell and I am just about to start on xmas cards!!! I crochet  snowlakes embellished with tiny beads as card toppers .
Also on the go are blankets, rag rugs , Winter woollies for the hat/glove box and baby goodies. I would love to be able to knit or crochet clothes but I just dont have the patience for all that row counting.  ::)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 02:43:15 pm »
2 rag rugs  ;D

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 02:46:30 pm »
i live in a house full of rag rugs my wife is making them wholesale currently ready for the smallholder and growers show at the end of the month...

i am supposed to be making a pile more of the 20mm crochet hooks for her to use to teach a class with but i'm suffering from c.b.a. syndrome so they'll get done when i'm ready!!!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 02:58:07 pm »
I'm making giant dream catchers from coopers hoops (the metal bands that go round barrels, dunno what their real names are) and reclaimed copper wire ;D
That and I've been making wreaths out of hedgerow stuff :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 05:34:46 pm »
After going on my lime pointing and harling course I have just received delivery of the materials for me to point...well just about everything (barn, steading, indoors, outdoors, ladys chamber....) :-))
So once Himself has got the cement mixer going it will be NHLNo5tastic here for weeks....:-))

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 05:53:28 pm »
Well, I've just finished a jumper from my handspun merino and silk. I'm spinning some pretty bluey-greeny indie-dyed BFL which was part of a Ravelry member's destash. That's on my new-to-me saxony.

On my Lendrum I'm spinning cornflower blue silk tops I bought at Woolfest.

I'm finishing the second of two socks, commercial yarn, another Rav destash, before I allow myself to try out the Leicester Longwool singles I spun (span, spinned?) and fulled the other day. First time I'll have knitted with fulled singles, am also going to make socks.

And I've done about two rows of a lace wrap, commercial laceweight yarn, also green. First big lace project.

Plus I'm still washing my Shetland fleeces when the weather is drying weather (done 3, 11 to go) and then I shall have to invest in a drum carder to process them.

Unfotunately going  to work is getting in the way of all of the above  ;)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 06:11:45 pm »
I've spent the last year - quite a lot of time and when £'s allow re cladding my goats shed in plank and batton style in larch - which after the first trial we found they didn't eat  :excited: :excited:

It's L shaped so 3 gables now done and I'm now on the front section (home straight) but I've opted to make every pen have a stable door to the outside to make mucking out a lot easier for me and if a goat has to be in then she can still have natural light etc. 1 stable door done and just ordered larch for another 4 then only 2 more a bit of tidying up and done.

Oh then on to the extention for lambing ............. It'll never end
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 06:44:21 pm »
. native breed natural 3-colour 3-ply thick work jumper  :knit: (some Manx Loaghtan, mainly Moorit and Black Shetland and Grey Falkland, homespun from prepared tops)

. I Learned to Spin work waistcoat; triangles of homespun, all kinds, as I try out new things and  :knit: them up!  (Problem is, I keep coming up with yarns I love so much I decide to make a jumper out of it... (see above)

. fibres to contribute to the I Learned to Spin waistcoat include (but are not limited to): Manx Loahgtan, Moorit & Black Shetland, Grey Falkland, Massam, Black Welsh Mountain, white Corriedale, oatmeal and white BFL combed tops; unknown gifted black and grey fibres; our own commercial white fleeces; my own Castlemilk Moorit fleeces; maybe a bit of Heb if I can use it; North Ronaldsay combed top (definitely going to want to use a lot more of this, it gives me goosebumps it's so gorgeous); mixed coloured native breeds fibre; mixed coloured alpaca fibre; Icelandic fleece (from Iceland); Southdown fleece; Jacob fleece

. Rainbow Corriedale combed tops ....  :knit: a shawl?  a waiscoat?  So many ideas...  But it's calling me to spin the rest of it!  ;D

. Fermented Suint Bath - all my fleeces are to be washed this way, initially.  I have the plastic dustbin full of rainwater, now just to trim up a fleece (probably the Jacob if it's greasy enough, otherwise one of our own) to prime the bath.

. pattern for foxhound jumper, and black, white and tan homespun yarns to do the pattern in - done  :relief:  (Ma's making :knit: the jumper for BH, all but the foxhound in commercial yarn)

. socks  :knit: for myself; first one done (commercial yarns) except I can't now see the stitches in the toe to sew it up and release the needles to  :knit: the second!  (Must get on with this one)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 07:08:20 am »
A citrus shaving soap, a pink knitted cardigan for my 7 year old and a cross stitch Gypsy Vardo. Not all at the same time, but almost.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 09:49:25 am »
Plums, what is a Gypsy Vardo?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 10:11:39 am »
Its the bow top caravan/wagons. The old fashioned, beautifully decorated Romany type. I was meant to spend my 10th Wedding anniversary in one back in March but the anniversary got cancelled  ::)  I love them
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 10:40:44 pm »
How does an anniverary get cancelled?  Mind you, ours more or less did this year as we were rowing.   ;D   We had a card from friends or it would have been totally ignored until the evening when we'd made up.

:knit: wise, I am still doing extreme knitting but haven't done any for ages as I spend most of my day on the sofa.  The arthritis or whatever I am suffering from means I can't sit upright for very long and I find knitting is impossible on the sofa because the back gets in the way.  I want to get one of those reclining chairs that also rise up to help you stand.  Then I'll be back to the  :knit:  big time.  It'll be something to while away the hours.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 06:50:22 pm »
I took on three one-day old lambs for bottle feeding which meant we were tied to the house. Never mind, the caravan will wait for another anniversary. We spend 364 days of the year rowing so surprised the anniversary's never been cancelled before  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS