Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What have you had for dinner?  (Read 7285 times)

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
What have you had for dinner?
« on: August 29, 2012, 09:58:35 pm »
Usually i cook with fresh food but tonight i had one of my 'favourite' meals.

a packet of quick cook chicken noodles with left over chicken, disgusting i know, but it took 3 minutes and i love them  :hungry:

I was wondering what other peoples secret food vices were?

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: What have you had for dinner?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 12:22:20 am »
This will sound silly but it's leftovers.  We hate wasting food and OH is very creative and a genius with seasonings. 

So that's what we had tonight
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:18:44 am »
I usually have any left overs for my breakfast :yum: :yum:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 08:09:25 am »
I made sushi rolls for the first time ever - worked out about the fifth of the price of going and eating them in a restaurant AND they were massive great things like drainpipes - raw salmon, seasoned sushi rice, cucumber, spring onion and sesame seeds. Even better, I still have half the ingredients left to do a second batch. They were delicious.
Tonight it is steak and chips as OH has worked so hard this week so deserves a treat.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 08:19:40 am »
We have a sort of tradition in our house and that is to name the ingredients in the meal we have not produced. Last night it was an oxo cube and some flour, in the stew and dumps. Tonight it will be chilli flakes in the continental fish cakes.

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 10:15:27 am »
This will sound silly but it's leftovers.  We hate wasting food and OH is very creative and a genius with seasonings. 

Nothing wrong with that. I love it when a meal does two nights. And we often have left overs from lunch the next day. Failing that the dog, cat and hens get the rest, I'm quite proud of having little or no food waste  :thumbsup:

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 11:19:26 am »
my favourite meal ever is one bowl of chicken super noodles and one bowl of peeled plum tomatoes with some fresh bread and butter eaten at the same time  :yum:  (cant put them in the same bowl as that would be a ridiculous combination) dont know where the food craze comes from but it is my guilty pleasure that i can only eat when the other half is not around, otherwise i get "that's healthy!" or "you cant eat that, its just wrong" lol

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:11:01 pm »
I love rhubarb and cornflakes  :yum:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 12:18:45 pm »
home-raised pork, in a kind of casserole  with lentils, garlic, onion, tomato etc. for tea last night.
Trying to encourage our house-guest into the reality of smallholding, he said it was ok as he hadn't met that pig!!
Absolutely delicious, not a drop of fat :yum:

still some left for today ... wondering what to have with it
?cheesy chivey mash perhaps?!
Little Blue

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 12:23:41 pm »
We have a sort of tradition in our house and that is to name the ingredients in the meal we have not produced. Last night it was an oxo cube and some flour, in the stew and dumps. Tonight it will be chilli flakes in the continental fish cakes.

We do that too, Hermit and so did my Ma. It is traditionally called "eat and be thankful"

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 12:49:13 pm »
Have just got back from our local abatoir/butchers, with the dog's green tripe ---and an ox tail, that is now in the slow cooker with a bottle of wine , carrots , leaks, onions and mushrooms, then tonight all we have to do is a big sausepan of mash with cream and butter , can't wait. :thumbsup:

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 05:10:54 pm »
Have just got back from our local abatoir/butchers, with the dog's green tripe ---and an ox tail, that is now in the slow cooker with a bottle of wine , carrots , leaks, onions and mushrooms, then tonight all we have to do is a big sausepan of mash with cream and butter , can't wait. :thumbsup:
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is "green tripe"?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 05:33:47 pm »
Green tripe. That brings back memories! My dad used to collect it for the GSD's we had and then we used it for the boarding kennel dogs too. Stunk to high heaven but their coats shone!

Chippy for tea tonight because I've worked my little socks off today, Hubby's been sorting his music stuff out (doing gig's again) and neither of us can be bothered to cook  ;D [size=78%] [/size]
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 05:46:25 pm »
An hours drive for us to get a chippy tea.  :(

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 07:36:29 pm »
After 3 nights in a UK hotel ( our car broke down) and treats like curry and steak and chips we returned to France and my daughter's Paella - massive feast with family who house sat whilst we were in the UK.
Tonight I cooked some of our loin pork in a Tagine with apricots, raisins, carrotts and a few spuds ( for colour variations) served with couscous with red onion,courgette and red pepper. All but the spice mix was our own produce. So nice to be home !!
 ;D
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS