Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Visitors Today  (Read 6712 times)

deepinthewoods

Re: Visitors Today
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 10:29:58 pm »
they are very edible, they are popular in most european countries, particularly poland, however this has led to alot of prize fish being stolen for dinner, it is the traditional christmas dinner in poland. a fish like in the photo would cost a good few hundred pound to replace.  i would like to try the meat but carp lakes are catch and release.but i have found a venue in wales that is high in the mountains and has a wild carp poulation, thats quite rare in the wild.

bangbang

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 10:31:31 pm »
It's a very impressive catch DITW,s :thumbsup:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 10:35:26 pm »
hes about 7lb, they grow to about 20lb in this lake, they can reach 50lb given time and the right conditions. a real scrapping fish too, one that size can take 20mins to land, ive seen fish being played for over an hour.

bangbang

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 10:45:56 pm »
I last tried fishing 30 years ago, but my lack of patience and understanding of the hunt
kept me from taking the up sport. As a teenager though I salmon fished with nets of the
north coast up here every weekend. I got free salmon for about 3 years as a perk, I've cooked it every way
possible - I now rarely eat it. To much of a good thing huh?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 10:51:10 pm »
was that seine netting? ive done that afew times off small cornish beaches after bass, really good fun, such a simple but effective ancient technique.
having eaten wild salmon,eating farmed salmon even 'organic' now is so dissapointing

bangbang

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 11:07:21 pm »
It was a close to coast 'v' type net (a one way bag) with a leader net that went from the bag to the shore. My job on a saturday was to help collect the catch and then go back and remove the leader nets.
It didn't matter about the weather conditions all leader nets had to come in. As it was, and still is illegal up here to fish on a sunday.
There were 14 nets over a 6mile run to do. we worked from a 26 foot Cobble boat and on sunday we repaired
leader nets and catch nets. i was 15 at the time and got £5 a day....hard work, but an experience that now I would say, I would happily pay for.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:29:14 pm by Bangbang »

deepinthewoods

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 11:28:41 pm »
yep thats a good 'un. lucky bangbang :D  (is there an 'im jealous' emoticon?)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 08:36:54 am »
heres a carp from last week, just for you!!

I was only playing dude! the veg was lovely  :yum: :yum:  thank you!

That's a fine specimen of a fish there, do you think he'll be ok in my water butt? :roflanim:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS