Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking thingy.  (Read 8283 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Milking thingy.
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 03:46:53 pm »
My friend has asked if she can do morning milking as she doesn't like coming out in the dark (we milk late).  I now find it easier to milk as, I assume, my knuckles are less stiff with having been used during the day, especially with typing.  Maybe I'll take up the piano again.

Thanks for all the advice.  I will hang onto it in case things get worse.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 03:55:06 pm »
Glad to hear your hands are loosening up again  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 03:58:56 pm »
Yes, it's a great relief.  Still some pain but at a level that I can cope with.  I love hand milking and didn't really want to have to use something.  In a couple of years, though, I could have two to milk and then I might have to rethink.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 10:16:59 am »
we just received our hand milker from USA this week and its made such a difference! She would let you hand milk for 5-10 minutes then she would start kicking out and hated you going near the teats again but since we started using the hand milker, we are really getting her stripped out with absolutely no stress for her and she'll happily let you clean the teats and massage some cream on them. Can't recommend it highly enough but had a real struggle to find anything similar in the UK.
Also it means we let the children get more involved with the milking:)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 11:19:53 am »
I think the chaps name was David Hanson but when I tried to get parts recently it appears that he has gone AWOL!

Horse requisites are good but they only sell the small bottles which is a real pain as you have to keep emptying the bottle mid-milk.

I spoke directly with Buck and he was really helpful.

Perhaps if there are a few of us on here that use it then we could club together to do an order and split the delivery costs?

I could possibly do with some more of the larger bottles....

:wave:

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 12:08:09 pm »
Yes I think it was David that name rings a bell,also sold driving tack and I couldn't find the link either when I was looking for something the other day.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 04:53:56 pm »
I

Perhaps if there are a few of us on here that use it then we could club together to do an order and split the delivery costs?

Excellent idea.  We'd still have the cost of getting things to each other but that would be cheaper.  Or we could have a milky thingy party and collect them there.  (bit like Tupperware)  ;D

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 08:19:48 pm »
A milky thingy party! ;D ;D ;D

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 01:11:58 am »
I think the chaps name was David Hanson but when I tried to get parts recently it appears that he has gone AWOL!
Horse requisites are good but they only sell the small bottles which is a real pain as you have to keep emptying the bottle mid-milk.
I spoke to David a couple of weeks ago, phone no is through the company he works for (owns?). he isn't getting anything in untill lambing time. He said it's only about £15.00 more from USA.
I was just talking about the udderlyEZ thingy tonight, still think it's expensive, esp with the postage, I'd be interested in a club 'bulk buy'.
Trouble is we are 'winding down' now, it's just one girl who seems to hold milk back in one side, if something catches her attention the teat goes from a squashed sausage to an icing bag shape again  ;D

anyone tried these these other idea where it has a seperate hand pump and it goes into a glass jar? found the pump in google, (£45) silicon tubes and jar wouldn't be a problem, but where could I get the tubes which fit on the teats? any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:53:00 pm by penninehillbilly »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 06:51:18 am »
I looked at those too but the problem I saw was cleaning the tubes.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 11:42:25 am »
No promblem cleaning the tubes you just pump hot water through them like washing out a normal milking machine.I just found (a) I couldn't get them to work well and (b) the tubes kept getting in the way.I find the hand held straight into the bottle one is much easier to work.Just experomenting to see if I can find any other bottles to fit

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 02:28:15 pm »
I'm watching this with interest.  Didn't think my original post would generate such a lovely lot of feedback.  Thanks all.   :thumbsup:

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 01:43:43 pm »
 :wave: 35 cc syringe tubes .. A saw some one using a spray bottle top with a peice of tube onto a syringe.. I'll try and find a pic and post it
I spoke to David a couple of weeks ago, phone no is through the company he works for (owns?). he isn't getting anything in untill lambing time. He said it's only about £15.00 more from USA.
I was just talking about the udderlyEZ thingy tonight, still think it's expensive, esp with the postage, I'd be interested in a club 'bulk buy'.
Trouble is we are 'winding down' now, it's just one girl who seems to hold milk back in one side, if something catches her attention the teat goes from a squashed sausage to an icing bag shape again  ;D

anyone tried these these other idea where it has a seperate hand pump and it goes into a glass jar? found the pump in google, (£45) silicon tubes and jar wouldn't be a problem, but where could I get the tubes which fit on the teats? any ideas?

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 01:48:26 pm »
What about this??

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 06:53:01 pm »
I tried that too again the tubes got in the way...I don't like the syringe either too hard and has no give and you have to keep pumping which if the problem is squeezing is just as hard work

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS