Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New hens... Trouble at bedtime  (Read 2050 times)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
New hens... Trouble at bedtime
« on: August 25, 2012, 09:05:36 pm »
Hello all,

Got my first 4 hens 2 days ago. Currently they are settling into a big ark with run and I plan eventually to let them part free range. They came from a big (circa 50 hens) 'cage' all in the same one but inside a barn. I am guessing they have a lot of learning to do but am a bit concerned (after 2 nights/ 3 days!) for my Blue Haze. The Blacktail, Black Rock and Light Sussex seem to have sorted life out and take themselves up the stairs to bed at dusk. However the Blue Haze I've had to put up each night with the others so far. She's flighty and flappy but keeps looking up as if wanting to join the others. She's easy to catch and snuggles into me once she's finished flapping and at the moment I'm literally bum shoving her up the ramp!

Am I doing anything wrong or is she just slow or worse, has she been shoved out by the others? Worried to let them free range now!

Help/advice much appreciated

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: New hens... Trouble at bedtime
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 09:15:28 pm »
It could be bullying at night (and in the morning) that's making her reluctant to go in Melholly. We have one as well -2 years on. She does eventually go in when all the others have settled and she stays well away from them. Are you getting them up early enough and is ahe eating properly as she may be being bullied off the feeder? Check her crop and persevere -someone has to be at the bottom of the pecking order and it isn't a nice place to be. If she's not eating put an extra feeder in the run. It will be required for a long time- until she settles down and you see her eating with the others.

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:23:14 pm »
Thanks Chris,

She's eating well so far, no obvious signs of bullying but she's either missing the point at bedtime or not being allowed to go! She's not aggressive - more nervous than the others but she's just not 'cottoned on' in the morning, they are out by 7:30 when I do the animal rounds and she gets down the ramp ok but won't go up it!

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 09:57:56 pm »
Some chooks are just a bit dim, but as Chris says, it could be she's scared.

Watch her during the day - does she hang around with the others or is she separate? If separate, it's what Chris is saying and she needs room in the coop to stay away from the others. And an extra feeder/drinker so she can't be bullied from eating.

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 12:01:31 pm »
My chooks did manage to get upstairs on perch but my one chook called nugget bless her sleeps at the bottom with the ducks..they friends now and she tje only chook they dont run away from bless..  :chook: :&>
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS