Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More chicks hopefully!  (Read 1752 times)

ayrt1010

• Joined Jun 2012
More chicks hopefully!
« on: August 23, 2012, 10:02:49 pm »
Our Barnevelder Tallulah has been sitting for nearly 3 weeks now, so we are hoping that they will hatch at the weekend. We still have our last chicks as we just can't tell the hens from the cockerels, they all look like little hens but can't believe we would have 4 hens out of 4. ???

SouthMains

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: More chicks hopefully!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:37:41 am »
Its amazing how often we find it hard to be positive  :raining:, I bet most of us would find it easy to believe we could get 4 out 4 cockerels but never 4 out of 4 hens.... :farmer:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:39:20 am »
I have 4 chicks a week old today. Mine will probably be 4 cockerels  :(
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 10:20:07 am »
well bionic 2 weeks ago my sex Link light Sussex hatched in my incubator i had 22 hens out off 24 never seen this .I also had 480 chicks hatched and 320 were cocks in march ,so you will never no .

SouthMains

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 12:14:44 pm »
was there not something years ago about the temperature of incubation...It was probably an old wives tail, but it was something to do with a temperature difference, supposedly it was to do with evolutionary mechanism whereby you need more females to males in order to keep population high so the eggs in the middle of the clutch which are very slightly higher would be more likely to be male whereas as the majority of eggs are on the outside they would be cooler and therefore more females...I know this is probably a load of nonesense but maybe someone out there has some information on this

ayrt1010

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 07:35:08 pm »
Went to coop today and egg had hatched but it had fell out of the nest, I thought it was dead so I got a spade to collect it and just as I was about to pick it up I noticed it moved. I picked it up and it was freezing cold so I put it in my coat and then put it in the bottom oven to warm up. Within minutes we could it hear cheeping( loudly) we took it back to the hen and put it under her, so fingers crossed the little thing will make it. Kids will be gutted if not as they think they have saved it! :fc:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:09:27 pm »
Aw - bless.  I hope it survives  :fc:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ayrt1010

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 09:04:59 pm »
Little chick is still alive and 1 more has hatched , hopefully the other 3 will as well.  :chook: :thumbsup:

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 07:52:11 am »
This is always such an exciting time ! Please keep us updated and a pic or two would be nice if you can manage it , well done.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS