Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Showing dogs  (Read 9363 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Showing dogs
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:20:39 am »
I had Archie (min poodle) groomed last Monday and the woman asked if I show him because she said he is a 'very handsome dog'.
I have never had any intention of showing him but since she has mentioned it I am wondering if I should enter him into the small local show this Monday. He is a year old on 3rd Sept so would still be eligible for the puppy class.
If I do enter him what will they be expecting from me and him?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Showing dogs
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:40:37 am »
Is it a companion dog show? If so, why not, it will be fun.  The steward will bring you into the ring, where you line up. Make sure Archie is standing nicely. Some people will "stack" their dogs which is just making sure they are stood correctly. I wouldn't push it too much at this stage. Just make it fun

The judge will then get each handler to bring their dog in front of them to go over them. They check teeth, run their hqnds over and my touch his crown jewels lol. They will then stand back and ask you to move him. It's usually in a triangle but just watch what the others do before you, if you are not first. You stop in front of the judge, she will have a last look and call foe the next handler. You will then join the back of the line.

When the judge has gone over all dogs, you want Archie standing and the judge will look at them all again and call out the winners.  If you are one of them, you stand where they are pointing.

It could of course, be slightly different.  Just remember to listen to what the judge or steward tells you.

Good luck.

Helen

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:02:38 am »
Yes Helen, it is a companion dog show. The breeder I bought him from said he 'stood well' the best of the litter, even at that early age.
Thanks for the info. Just hoping I don't chicken out
Sally

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 10:13:11 am »
Train him a bit at home if you can.

Get him to "stand" and get OH and any visitors to run their hands over him and look at his teeth. Practise trotting in a triangle and straight line with him.

If you have fun, they do hold Ring Craft Classes in various places.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:14:59 am »
I would find out where your nearest ring craft classes are held and take him there once a week. These classes are especially geared up for teaching pups and owners what's what in the ring, whether it be companion shows or open shows.
As long as you don't take it too seriously showing dogs is a lovely hobby. By and large you will meet some lovely folk, make a lot of new friends and have a good day out. You will, of course, meet some awful people as in all walks of life. These are best ignored ;)
If you google Canine Societies in your area you will come up with details of their classes. Good luck with Archie :fc: :dog:

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:26:20 am »
You won't chicken out!! You will be fine :)

I would wait until after you have had a go before researching ringcraft classes as you may not enjoy it.  I have found companion dog shows just as competitive and serious as the bigger shows so you will get a real feel for it.

Helen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:32:26 am »
Go for it! If you and Archie enjoy it, it will be great fun!

Pic please, after Monday :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 11:06:35 am »
Enjoy it! 

And yes, please, we want a pic while he's still well-groomed!   ;) ;D

As to taking his showing career any further... I think you had him neutered?  Which would, I think, mean he couldn't be shown in breed classes - but someone who knows more than me (basically anyone who has ever done any proper breed showing at all, I've done none!  Only companion / novelty / agility / obedience stuff) will be along soon to put us right.  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:41:00 am »
Oooops ..... yes ..... think so.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 11:54:43 am »
If he isnt "enitre" then he could never do Open or Champ shows, but I'm sure Fun Shows (Companion Shows) wouldn't mind a jot - good luck and enjoy!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 11:57:52 am »
Sally, well done for remembering he was neutered but I am not sure what you mean by a breed class.
The pedigree classes are
Any variety puppy 6-12 months old
Any variety sporting dogs
Any variety non-sporting dogs
Any variety open
I was thinking of entering him into the pedigree puppy class. Will that still be ok as he has been neutered?
There are also novelty classes for which I am sure any mutt is acceptable but he could enter most handsome dog or waggiest tail.
Sally
There

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 11:59:11 am »
bumblebear came back just as I was posting and I think that answers my question.
thanks all
Sally

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 12:10:14 pm »
bumblebear came back just as I was posting and I think that answers my question.

I bloomin' well hope so!  It'd be a fine thing if the 'powers that be' debarred neutered dogs from entering non-breeding stock shows while on the other hand, encouraging us all to neuter non-breeding dogs, eh! :D

So, yes, I would think you would be fine in a general fun pedigree puppy class; also waggiest tail, most appealing eyes, dog the judge would most like to take home, etc, etc!  One of my fave classes was 'Best 6-legs' - where the judge got to choose the best combination of handler-and-dog.  Then hubby won with our black bitzer bitch; I remain convinced it was his rugby-player's legs shown off in his summer shorts that did the deed!  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 01:11:58 pm »
Luckily there isn't a 6 best legs competition because I don't think we would win with either me or OH  :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 01:28:06 pm »
Luckily there isn't a 6 best legs competition because I don't think we would win with either me or OH  :roflanim:
Doh!  :dunce: I never thought... Well, they'd have to allow 4 of the legs to be wheels, huh?  Else it'd be discrimination!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS