Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Showing dogs  (Read 9360 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Showing dogs
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 04:57:04 pm »
I have a feeling that if there are pedigree classes the show will be held under KC rules and the judge doing the pedigree classes will be a KC up and coming judge who will adhere to breed standards which include, in males " two obviously normal and healthy testicles" There is no rule that says a neutered dog can't compete in open or champ. shows but the purpose of shows is to promote the breeding of healthy standard dogs and if a dog can't breed then he can't contribute to this.
Saying this, companionship shows are great fun. Teach Archie a few tricks, poodles are great at this and it will keep him interested and entertained and he could win, as well as the handsomest dog(a class now frowned upon by the RSPCA, presumably so that dog's feelings aren't hurt)  the best trick.
Or have you thought of agility for when he's a bit older, his breed is really good at this and it will keep you fit as well.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 06:23:43 pm »
Sylvia,
You are correct it is being held under KC rules so maybe I won't show him in the pedigree puppy class after all.
He could still enter the most handsome dog and if he doesn't win I don't think his feelings will be hurt  ;D
We can't do agility because although he is very agile I'm not. :(
thanks for the info
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 06:35:07 pm »

the handsomest dog(a class now frowned upon by the RSPCA, presumably so that dog's feelings aren't hurt) 
Shouldn't someone now just put this poor, sick organisation out of its misery?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 06:35:27 pm »
With the Paralympics being on now, is no-one doing Para-Agility?  :D  With the right course design, it could work - and would be great fun for spectators too!   
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 09:36:46 pm »
Neutered dogs or bitches are not banned from being shown at any KC licensed event.  However, they will take a lower place to a dog that is entire, although with bitches you can't tell.  The reason fro that is that shows are or were a showplace for breeding stock and if they are neutered they obviously can't be bred from.

If the dog has been neutered or you are contemplating doing so, you can apply to the KC for 'permission to show'  It is usually given and you don't always have to give them a reason for the dog being neutered.

I can bet if you win a rosette you'll be hooked - that's how we started with our first Cocker and look at me now! :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 09:41:22 pm »
Show him in the pedigree classes.  You never know and it will be a good experience.

Helen

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 10:00:55 am »
I believe that a few years ago there was mention of neuter classes in open and Champ shows, though this, obviously came to nothing.
Bionic, the agility classes start very gently, it may do you as well as your dog the world of good :) :) :dog:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 02:35:12 pm »
You should go for it Sally
My OH and I put 2 of our cockers (working not show type) in a local county show last year and we did quite well. We did all the bonniest bitch, dog the judge would most like to take home etc and it was such fun and great 'crack' with the others in the class and one of the pups, Meggie took best local dog!. OH put Meggie in some classes again this year and we got 2 firsts, best local dog and best dog in show  :excited: The classes were judged by a properly qualified judge, but she did not expect the owners to be expert handlers as she knows that most of the dogs are just well loved family pets.
Infact last year when she checked my Meggie's teeth, then ran her hands over her, Meggie promptly threw herself on her back for a good belly rub, much to my horror :o and the crowds delight :excited: . The judge did say that I would get exta points for it :innocent:
So go on give it a go and enjoy it ;D
Have tried to attatch Meggies photo!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 02:45:34 pm by ppd »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 10:14:56 pm »
Lovely picture of Meggie with all her winnings
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 06:22:58 pm »
Well done little Meggie  :trophy:  - she looks so cute too.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS