Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hot deals in Tesco  (Read 15676 times)

lill

• Joined May 2011
hot deals in Tesco
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:08:46 am »
Went shopping last night, a chore i detest always have and probably always will. Looking for beans the new branston ones as they are better than heinz, well a packet of 4 tins x 410g was £2.55p, 1 tin of 410g was 35p, multiply 35x4=£1.40 think this is right yep it is, so now my question is why the hell do they charge so much for the plastic wrapping on the bundle of 4, are we all conditioned that buying in bulk is cheaper yes i think we are and its not till we just start to be more observant that we realise this is not the best way to go. :rant: Complained to the checkout assistant and even she could not answer the question.

Does buying in bulk pay, not for me it does not, even the reduced bread worburtons was £1.05p and the worburtons bread deal was 2 for £2.00 so where is the saving, just the 2 things i noticed there will be hundreds more. :rant:  Thanks for taking the time to read. Maybe more of you will think twice now before making the muilt buy purchases.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: hot deals in Tesco
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:13:32 am »
Lill, maybe I am mean but I always work out the difference between the single and multi buys when I see the offers. Time and time again the singles work out cheaper and its not just Tesco either.
You have to be a canny shopper these days to get the best deals
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:19:10 am »
Sally, they say that Tesco is cheaper, well the ads does, this was only 2 things i mentioned, the coffee, tea also is cheaper to buy as a single item, yes i would say that i am a thrifty person but will need to be more so.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:23:15 am »
That's a good point Lill. I always assume (wrongly in many cases) that the multibuy is going to be cheaper! I'm glad you've posted this as it will make me think carefully and examine my purchases.
With a family of 7 being a canny shopper is important (as it is for everyone I guess!)

I had my delivery from Approved Food yesterday - that's where my bulk buying comes in. It will take a while but we will get through the 120 ice pops, 50 naan breads, 200 sachets of hot chocolate etc but at 10% of the price we'd have been paying at the shops its worth it  ;) ;D [size=78%] [/size]
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:39:32 am »
Supermarkets are cheeky beggars and try and catch those who are in a rush or can't be bothered checking prices. We are on a limited budget so i do spend time checking.  Something else they do is have items 50% off, in big letters but the price they quote as the original one, isn't always strictly true. Yes, they sometimes stay within the rules but they know how to get round them!

Helen

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:47:10 am »
If you have a Lidl store near you, you may find some bargains there. They sell good quality foods at a fair price.
Lill, I tried Warburtons bread once when I couldn't summon up the energy to make my own. I'd rather eat pig s##t :o  And that goes for Hovis, Tesco Finest et. al. (Don't buy Lidl bread ;) )

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 09:54:29 am »
My OH is the price checker, I'm useless at it but he is great. Quite often we find the offers aren't as good. We've even had some stuff in the reduced as its going out of date that work out more expensive. I'm a sucker for BOGOF's etc though!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:58:34 am »
I hate BOGOFs!  Especially on perishable food, it just leads to overconsumption and/or waste.  I wish they'd all just charge a reasonable amount in the first place.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 11:06:09 am »
It is always cheaper to buy loose veg for example (carrots, onions and with such a horrible summer I don't have single carrot in my garden >:( , so have to buy) as opposed to pre-packed/pre-weighed, as I usually have the (human) kids with me they have to work out what is cheaper.... you do get funny looks( especially from the shop asistants) though when you stand and explain to your kids how to calculate it all...
I don't do Tesco though, but Co-op does it all the time. The annoying thing with the Co-op is though the smaller shops (and they have recently re-structured/re-categorised their stores) often now only have pre-packed stuff... I feel sorry for the car-less people (mainly the OAPs) who have to spend more just because they cannot get to the larger shops as regularly.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 11:07:12 am »
I hate BOGOFs!  Especially on perishable food, it just leads to overconsumption and/or waste.  I wish they'd all just charge a reasonable amount in the first place.
Hear hear!

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 11:31:24 am »
BOGOF offers, please remember when these offers are available it is the PRODUCER who has to bear the brunt of these offers and not the store that is promoting them, i do not buy them. Some wonder why the supermarkets make the money, they don't bloody pay for 50% of the goods, greedy barstewards.  ???

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 02:13:01 pm »
I was just chatting to my pal about something similar, the Co-Op - they are advertising grapes as half price at £2.00 but I have NEVER seen their grapes at £4 eve and I used to buy them 3 times a week so I know they are normally £2 or £2.50. So it is just a scam! I dont buy any fruit from them now, its not much of a stand but it makes me feel better LOL

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 02:34:22 pm »
Another thing to be wary of is packet sizing.  I always assumed that bigger meant cheaper but found that sometimes (often) it is cheaper to buy two small rather than one large.
What often surprises me (why, I don't now) is when fresh food has reached its self buy date and it reduced, how little it is reduced by.  £4.50 down to £4.30 on a packet of meat for example.  It's almost like they would rather throw it away than really reduce it.  I suppose they rely on people seeing the reduced sticker and not checking what its original price was.

Before all the extended shopping hours, I used to go to Sainsbury at 4pm on a Saturday and buy food that was really reduced and go home and fill my freezer.  Saved quite a bit that way.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 06:09:25 pm »
I do that MGoM, for a little while we found the time that Tesco did their 90% reductions. Filled the freezer quite well. They started changing the times though. Sainsbury seems very reluctant to reduce though.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 06:17:43 pm »
Its the same in all the Supermakets, in Morrisons always check prices again sizes, have had many savings doing this - and what is it about bring beans from Kenya when in season in this country.
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS