Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice reqiured....  (Read 6177 times)

40acres

• Joined Aug 2012
Advice reqiured....
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:32:33 pm »
Hi guys,
Ive read the forums for a while and thought it was time I asked you advice.
I have recently became the owner of 40 acres of land in Southern Ireland by way of inheritance. I have no ral agricultura experiance ,appart from a half acre allotment.
The land over looks an extensive lake ,3kmx1/2km, picturesque veiws but hasnt been farmed or worked in a long time. There are no buildings on the land and it rises 400m in the centre ,so its quite undulating and a little rocky (glacial lake).
Just lloking for some ideas on how to proceed. The locals farm sheep on it. But I was thinking of trying something else, as Im no sheep farmer and the lack of buildings would begin to ramp up costs from day one.

So just to ask......
What would you do with it?

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Advice reqiured....
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:21:42 pm »
As said on your earlier post, I actually know VERY little and just have a big garden, but if I were you I would start off with:

- a duck house next to the water and some nice ducks for eggs (I love ducks)
- a chicken run, again lovely eggs, you could start with 3 hens and see if you like them and would be interested in raising them for meat as well as eggs. You would need proper housing for that but a shed, coop or eglu in the back yard could be a quick start.
- and then I would start looking into goats (I love goats too), great milk - you could try cheese and butter, meat and they are lovely little fellas. And they would be fine on the rocky land

But that's not really a long term plan, just a try and see and they can live with whatever animals you get if you change your mind with the land

PS 40 acres is LOADS, lucky you I would so be up for that challenge  :excited:
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:49:23 pm »
Wow!  What a challenge, and what an opportunity!

I've learned that there's probably a lot to be said for looking at what your neighbours are doing, since they're probably doing it right!  Also, although starting up a sheep enterprise might be expensive, I can't think of anything else you could do with 40 acres which wouldn't be even more expensive!!

It depends on what your goal is though. Do you want to be self sufficient?  run it as a business?  Just a hobby?  That's got to be the question to answer first, since it'll dictate everything about what you need to do next!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 11:04:27 pm »
While you're deciding...  maybe get some sheep, either your own or let the grazing for the rest of the season - grass can get overlong really quickly, and if the ground is 'undulating' then it can be tricky to get it back into good shape for grazing.  If it were me I would see if a local farmer or smallholder would graze it, or most of it, for you until you are ready to use it all.  Then you can relax and take your time trying out ideas, in your head and then on a small scale on a bit of the ground, meanwhile the ground isn't 'getting away from you.'
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

40acres

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 12:19:29 am »
Hi all,
Well I think the duck and goat thing would be a little underwhelming for 40 acres  ;) I'd turn my back and end up with a herd  :)
The other farmers have taken advantage of the lack of management thus far, and let their stock roam the area. Ideally, I'd like to let it out for grazing, leave it be and have a small income off of it. But, I thin as the farmers have had the run of it, I cant ask them to pay as it might cause bad feeling. So is there a land management 'thing' like they have for flats and rental houses?
I wouldnt mind outsourcing it to them and having a few more years to 'think on' before making a decision on what to do.  :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 12:39:08 am »
If you were in England I would direct you to the local Livestock Auctioneers, who probably handle the Grass Lettings in the area.  I have no idea if this would apply in Ireland.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

40acres

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:46:03 am »
If you were in England I would direct you to the local Livestock Auctioneers, who probably handle the Grass Lettings in the area.  I have no idea if this would apply in Ireland.

Hi Sally,

Thanks for the reply!  :thumbsup:
I'd assume there would be some type of similar organisation in Ireland as its a rural based community.
Would like anyone else's take on how they'd go about utilising it, as I might give up work to squeeze a living out there.
Always liked 'The Goodlife'   :thinking:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 07:14:31 am »
Given that the Irish ecconomy is down the pan at the moment , it would not be a good time to sell. Tell the locals that you need your land back as you will be farming it yourself , and stick some beef on it for now, they have grass and water. Are you in a possition to build a house and live there ? because if you are absent they will take advantage. you must write a book and claim that you are an author, Authors and artists were always allowed to live tax free in Eira, or has that changed? you're a lucky person. :excited:

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 08:20:55 am »
Go to a local auctioneer and put it up for rent. I think the going rate is about 100 euro per acre per year. Which would give you 4 grand. First thing you have to do is fence the land to keep roaming animals out, methinks.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 09:33:03 am »
i would fill the lake full of fish and sell season tickets to fishermen.but then, i am a fisherman.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:44:45 am »
I strongly agree with Sausages and Cash about fencing and keeping roaming animals out. The locals will have to be told that things have changed I'm afraid or they'll just take advantage.
It will have to be done either now or in the future and now is definately better.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 11:34:20 am »
Go to a local auctioneer and put it up for rent. I think the going rate is about 100 euro per acre per year. Which would give you 4 grand. First thing you have to do is fence the land to keep roaming animals out, methinks.

That 100 euro would be let on a fbt with entitlements, not just grazing, I think, unless the value of sheep is much greater in Eire...

40acres

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 01:16:16 pm »
Given that the Irish ecconomy is down the pan at the moment , it would not be a good time to sell. Tell the locals that you need your land back as you will be farming it yourself , and stick some beef on it for now, they have grass and water. Are you in a possition to build a house and live there ? because if you are absent they will take advantage. you must write a book and claim that you are an author, Authors and artists were always allowed to live tax free in Eira, or has that changed? you're a lucky person. :excited:

OOOh! I like that bit, my grandad was friends with Brendan Behan, hopefully enough rubbed off on me to squeeze out on tome :fc:
The lake isn't mine, its owned by the local council and used for a water supply in the area. You can have access to it for water and fishing, but as for 'fishing rights' that's a no-no apparently.
I got a quote on serviceable fencing and my engineer said about 2000 m of it needs replacing/updating. So at E5 m, that's 10k right there. Will ask the adjacent owners to chip in.
I'd priced up leasing, would like to lease with a repair clause,so the new 'leasee' repairs the fencing. I dont have to travel back and forth to sort it out too.
Did think of a memorial site where people could dedicate a tree or a stone memorial to a loved one. I have building experience (15 years),so the path and landscaping side of things wouldn't be too much trouble.
I cant build a home on it, a sheep shed is fine, 100 sq m floor , under 8m in height. The green belt restrictions in Eire are much more restrictive than here.

The replies have been great (especially the tax free bit :excited: )

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 01:18:15 pm »
Or what about some rare breed cattle - Irish Moyled (may have spelt that wrong) are rare breed.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 01:40:11 pm »
If you look at the deeds to the land you may find that the adjacent landowners are responsible for all the fencing, then again you may be responsible for it. Chances are some will be yours some will be theirs, I'd still tend to say start off as you mean to go on. Otherwise in a few years time this 'gift' may have a very different feel to it .......
could end up as something of a poison chalice.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS