Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice reqiured....  (Read 6149 times)

bangbang

Re: Advice reqiured....
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 02:09:58 pm »
If your married just say 'darling what shall we do with this land?'....then :goat: :goat: :goat: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :&> :&> :&> :&> :&>
worked for me, 5 acres filled - not a problem ;D :innocent:

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 06:12:27 pm »
Well I think the duck and goat thing would be a little underwhelming for 40 acres  ;) I'd turn my back and end up with a herd  :)

Yep didn't mean 1 goat meant LOTS of goats  :eyelashes:
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 06:20:59 pm »
Could you put game birds on some of the scrub land and rent out to poachers / shooters (not sure correct term)?
I like the fishing idea, shame you can't do that.

Could you start a conservation project? Rare breeds? Arapawa goats (lots of them, they are about to shoot most of them in NZ apparently)? Or a animal rescue centre of sorts?

Ghost hunts, night time treks to spot owls, campsite, caravan park.

Plant xmas trees?

So you don't have a house on it? That is tricky thought you had a farm building
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

bangbang

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 06:36:36 pm »
I would think more along the lines of what you can comfortably handle in your choice of animal - I would section off the required amount of land to suit that choice and number - short term let the remainder of land, until you feel confident in your choice - then expand accordingly. I believe if you try to much to quick you could end up ruining your new adventure.
Focus, in my opinion on what you will enjoy - after all it's you that is going to have to deal with the enevertable problems that arise in smallholding.

Good luck  :fc:

40acres

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 10:19:47 pm »
Its certainly going to take some thought. As its been said, the other landowners need taking in hand, but its been that way for years, so another year or so of planning wont amount top a whole pile of beans.  :relief:

I do like the idea of shooting on the land. A small lodge and parking, the only problem is its treeless, so clays or seasonal hunting might be the key.

Thanks for the replies thus  far guys  :hug:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 12:04:10 am by 40acres »

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 09:15:01 pm »
I forgot about forestry. At the moment (Native Woodland Scheme) Oak and Beech get a premium of 515 Euro per hectare (as a farmer), per year for 20 yrs. To be a farmer you need a herd number (very easy to get).

on 40 acres (16.1874 hectares), you would get a return of 8336.51 euro per year for twenty years. A grand total of 166,730 euro over twenty years.

The locals will probably not be best pleased. 'Forestry = Rural death etc.

On the upside, the forestry company will fence and plant the land for the cost of the grant. In short it will cost you nothing.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 09:18:54 pm »
Oh yes, and you're relatives will get the money from selling the hardwood in 40 years.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 09:04:42 am »
Around here the grass keep system runs from 1 April until 31 October and the person taking it on can use the ground as he pleases (grazing, hay, silage), but the owner is responsible for good fencing and a water supply).  If someone is paying you for grazing it's going to be in their interests to keep everyone else out.

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 09:50:39 am »
first profit is the best profit. i would rent it out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS