Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's everyone up to today?  (Read 82739 times)

Mel

Re: What's everyone up to today?
« Reply #285 on: October 07, 2012, 11:39:08 am »
I have just come in for a cuppa,I am picking even more blackberries from the s/h,I just cannot believe they have done so well this year,a few kilo's more today and i shall have enough to make some Blackberry rum,apple and blackberry pies,possibly more jam though not like I need anymore ;D

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #286 on: October 07, 2012, 11:56:36 am »
mainly cooking

full roast for 10 people with desserts all home made, plus stuff for proper tea tonight, my grandparents are in town and i'm spoiling them as i don't see them often.

my Sister in law is coming as well which means have to do Beef and Chicken (as thats the only meat she eats) which is causing mayhem in the oven!!!

time to go do the lemon meringue!!!

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #287 on: October 07, 2012, 11:56:46 am »
Took Heidi to work at 6.30 cleaned out chooks ducks and bunnys, prept the veg, chook in oven, washing in machine and now having a well earned cuppa

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #288 on: October 07, 2012, 11:58:31 am »
Ah bloomer, lemon meringue is my favourite. Put me a piece in the post please  :excited:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #289 on: October 07, 2012, 12:01:04 pm »
Just had my soup after a morning of sitting inside the barn and pointing up the walls to about waiste level. The mice, lizzads or possibley cattles tongues have removed most of the sand morta. Very relaxing but not good for the RSI elbow.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #290 on: October 07, 2012, 12:04:09 pm »
Ironing, swimming, homework, haricot of mutton, treacle sponge pud, share a box of matchmakers, bed. Looking forward to that last bit  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #291 on: October 07, 2012, 12:04:27 pm »
Ah bloomer, lemon meringue is my favourite. Put me a piece in the post please  :excited:

based on previous experience it doesn't last long enough for there to be a spare slice!!!

sorry  :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #292 on: October 07, 2012, 01:29:56 pm »
Sorting out for the 6 teddy bears (aka Ryelands  :D) lodging in my goat paddocks, and cleaning out poultry in a tshirt  :o It wouldn't quite be warm enough if I wasn't working, but hey  :thumbsup: I haven't removed the waterproof leggings from my wellies (no point in tempting fate  ;)) but I am decidedly hot in them  ;D

All this talk of Sunday lunches is making me feel quite hungry. Think I'll be having a bowl of cornflakes and an omelette as usual  :D My own fault, I have half a lamb, half a kid and about 10 cockerels in the freezer but I never remember to get anything out and defrost it in time for a meal at the weekend ::) no time in the week.

There's a heap of washing up to do, but washing up can be done in the dark or the rain  :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 01:32:23 pm by jaykay »

HappyHippy

« Reply #293 on: October 07, 2012, 01:54:24 pm »
I've been baking a mountain of sausage rolls  :o :yum:
Moving our little 'rescue budgie'  ::) into the palatial ex-cockateil cage (it's actually a cage for an african grey - so plenty of room for Shelia to have a fly around  ;)) Also guarding said budgie from advances from the kids and cats  :-\ Cat's have learned quick with the aid of a waterpistol  :thumbsup: Kids...... not so much  :roflanim:
Got a couple of slate signs to get engraved this afternoon and a presentation to prepare for our local agri-show society tonight  :innocent:

I'd hoped to get some soap made  :-\ It'll either be a midnight job, or one for during the week  :thinking:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #294 on: October 07, 2012, 04:52:16 pm »
Like J, revelling in having some  :sunshine: here today  ;D  No hat!  No gloves!  No coat!  Just pop shoes on and out you go!  Hurrah!   :excited:

First tup out, so first lambs to be expected from 3rd March next year.  Heaven knows what to expect weather-wise...  ::)

Preparing my fermented suint vat for cleansing my fleeces before storage.  Been waiting all summer (well, since clipping, anyway), to get a few dry warm days to get this started.  As it is, it'll be freezing nighttimes so I've cleared a space in the byre for the vat, and will pack it around with straw and maybe discarded wool to insulate it.   :fc: it'll still work - everyone recommends trying to keep it at 'room temperature' but I ain't having that indoors!   :o

Arranged to pick up a new-to-me Ashford Traditional spinning wheel next week.  This is newer than the one I've been using and I hope will be my own keeper.  It's similar vintage to my much-loved Traveller, so they should make a good pair, although the Travvy is stained dark and the Traddy is light.  The Traddy I had been using is the one I was giving everyone a go on at the Festival, and I liked having a wheel I was prepared to let all and sundry have a play on so much I decided I would snap up this other one (a better one) for my own, and keep a less good one as a beginners' wheel. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bangbang

« Reply #295 on: October 07, 2012, 04:56:37 pm »
We've had   :sunshine:

Out cutting wood, made a stand out of an old slice of tree, played with dog
in the paddock and generally relaxed!  :thumbsup:
and cleaned some windows on one side.  ;D

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #296 on: October 07, 2012, 06:08:08 pm »
Spent a quiet morning, as OH was in bed until 12. He'd had a bad night coughing, so I wanted him to sleep in. Then this afternoon, I came over all tired due to the disturbed night with OH so I went up to bed for a couple of hours. Now Ive got to catch up with all the things I should have done during the day. Its been so dull and overcast here and quite chilly. Not nice!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #297 on: October 07, 2012, 07:31:53 pm »
Oh Mary, some days are just catch-up days like that, best just to give in to them and you can make the most of other days when you have more energy, especially if its  :sunshine:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #298 on: October 07, 2012, 09:35:06 pm »
Today was Madeley Green Day so OH and I went for a look.  It gets bigger every year so plenty to see.  There were the inevitable hog roast (OH forced one down) and burger stall, stalls about recycling, wood turners, owls, meerkats, local walks and green areas, lots of crafts for children to do, various stalls with apples - longest peel, make your own apple juice, etc. - and a climbing wall (no, I didn't.  Can't even watch).  For once, the sun was shining and everybody seemed to be having fun.

Mary, hope you and your OH have a better night tonight.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #299 on: October 08, 2012, 09:17:51 am »
today i have an oak sill replacement to do, always a challenge, always satisfying when completed. have a good day peeps!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS