Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's everyone up to today?  (Read 82686 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: What's everyone up to today?
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2012, 09:30:12 am »
NOT MUCH. Gentle pursuits today following my fall last night. The right side of my body has taken a battering and my shoulder is giving me real grief.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2012, 10:31:08 am »
Ouch Mary, hope you're feeling better soon, just take it steady.
Got somebody collecting 3 piglets this afternoon and OH is taking down the temporary security fence pig pen we put up ages ago ::)  to make a permananet stock fencing one(at last :excited: ) as he wants the security fencing back for his next building project.
mandy :pig:

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2012, 01:34:36 pm »
Researching the Tithe history of our village.  Fascinating.  Ulterior motive - one of farm buildings used to be an old tithe cottage and need to prove to planning office that it was historically a dwelling.  We want to try to convert back to dwelling for my mum but it had been used as farm storage by previous owner for so long.
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2012, 03:30:59 pm »
I think there's a rule about 30 years - if it hasn't been a habitation in the past 30 years maybe you'd need change of use planning permission? I say so because there's a house in our dale which is getting close to that and everyone keeps saying 'if R doesn't do something about that house soon, people won't be allowed to live in it again'.

Hopefully the barn you're looking at is inside that time frame?

Is there someone old in the village who would know? It is fascinating finding out how things used to be, what was done where  :) Good luck  :thumbsup:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2012, 03:47:37 pm »
Sitting in front of the computer at work trying to get a service evaluation project and a community engagement project off the ground.....
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2012, 04:04:40 pm »
I think there's a rule about 30 years - if it hasn't been a habitation in the past 30 years maybe you'd need change of use planning permission? I say so because there's a house in our dale which is getting close to that and everyone keeps saying 'if R doesn't do something about that house soon, people won't be allowed to live in it again'.

Hopefully the barn you're looking at is inside that time frame?

Is there someone old in the village who would know? It is fascinating finding out how things used to be, what was done where  :) Good luck  :thumbsup:
Thanks Jaykay - looking at the building I believe it will have been way more than 30 years.  National Archives website is very interesting though and I'm quite enjoying researching regardless of whether it will be useful to us.  I now know the name of the chap who lived in it in 1845!!  There are a few old photographs around but none taken close enough to identify it as inhabited.  I think I will draw the conclusion that any evidence will not be of much use within the planning application but I'm starting a file just for pure interest.  Have found out that this little hamlet was quite self sufficient in its time.  When renovating the farmhouse I found a newspaper reporting, amongst other things, the civil war pushed inside the split kitchen beam.  I read and photocopied the parts I could and pushed it back in with a local one from 2010.  Maybe someone else will discover both in the next century.  I love history and hope that I can leave something of significant interest for my descendants.  :thinking:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2012, 04:20:55 pm »
Taking 4 girls out to buy things they need for their imminent return to school. Well that's over £100 I'll never see again and that wasn't even uniform shopping  >:(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2012, 05:07:58 pm »
Giving the sheep the once over re feet and fleece etc prior to drawing out a couple to go off for the chop......helped by the very very competent Dougal the shearer (Dougal on here) and his fabulous sheepdogs (our ladies were not keen on the idea of being caught so the dogs came in very handy!)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2012, 12:45:07 pm »
Watching the rain while on my hols...great stuff. Hope it better Friday taking my daughter horse riding

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2012, 12:50:12 pm »
got very soggy at the builders merchants today currently drying out and drinking tea, after that not sure!!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2012, 12:52:36 pm »
Kicking tyres and  :censored:  at the VW as I tried to start it and it just made bop bop noises and smoked a lot.  Can't get to agri store to buy animal feed and have relief milker coming at 4pm to see how I milk the goats etc as we are due on hols friday. Oh joy.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2012, 02:20:29 pm »
I'm currently hiding in my bedroom til it's time to go and milk. Kids seem to fall out every time I walk in the room and I'm fed up with getting wet!

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2012, 04:14:25 pm »
Got a couple of corner posts cemented in this morning before the rain started. Dug some spuds and picked chard for veg boxes after it started raining.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2012, 06:38:22 pm »
We had a little grey fergie 1955 delivered - and I forgot to collect the kids from school in all the excitement  :excited: :excited: :excited: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :excited: :excited: :excited: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :excited: :excited: :excited: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2012, 06:58:31 pm »
We had a little grey fergie 1955 delivered - and I forgot to collect the kids from school in all the excitement  :excited: :excited: :excited: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :excited: :excited: :excited: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :excited: :excited: :excited: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
Ae you David Cameron?   :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS