Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Iron age pigs  (Read 23462 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Iron age pigs
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2012, 12:55:07 pm »
The only suggestion I have is, before you make your decision about the Iron Age pigs, check that there is a slaughterhouse which will kill them for you.  I know of a breeder of wild boar on a large scale whose business collapsed when their abattoir would no longer kill their animals - because one had attacked the slaughterman and badly injured him, so not surprising.

Tamworths are lovely  :love: ;D :innocent:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2012, 01:23:43 pm »
We were originally looking for tamworths but couldn't find any within a reasonable distance at a reasonable cost.  I could go to a pig sale but you don't know what you are getting there either!

My neighbour has Tamworths, HMM. Would you like his 'phone number. He has some lovely pigs(and you can borrow my trailer at the same time) :) :)

robert waddell

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2012, 01:29:23 pm »
a very good point fleecewife      you have to get aproved premises to do the killing and prep as not many slaughterhouses will take them even if you claim them to be iron age    they just dont need your business for the upset they can cause :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 03:18:05 pm »
tamworths are delightful and thrive in the woods. they are more lively than the gos. all mine are trained to a bucket and have 15 acres to roam. they will come galloping when u call them everytime.
getting young gilts for breeding gives u time to develop a relationship with them before u mate them at 10 mths. in the meantime u could get some boar weaners to finish at 6 mths - to sell within 4 mths of buying them.
we r getting an average of 10 in a litter with our tamworths and sell weaners for £50-£60 each. there r a few breeders down ur way im sure.

what price per kilo is the iron age meat?
just saw it - £7.70 p kg. not that expensive is it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:29:25 pm by princesspiggy »

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2012, 04:10:28 pm »
Whereabouts in Devon are you?

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 04:57:05 pm »
We are based near okehampton but Our new land is near Exeter.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 05:33:22 pm »
Forgive the interruption, but why iron age / wild boar? With the higher risks and faff-factor, what is the pay off?  :)

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 06:35:48 pm »
Back to the dogs!! My sheepdogs will work cattle and even donkeys (now that is not normal) but I wouldn't even try to herd pigs let alone iron age pigs. I value my dogs too much.

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2012, 08:47:44 pm »
We are based near okehampton but Our new land is near Exeter.
Theres a chap in Okehampton who breeds pedigree tamworths or another breeder in Minehead i can give you their details if you would like them?? its the closest you could get to iron age and alot safer!!!! ;D

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2012, 07:55:07 pm »
Have you tried the Tamworth Breeders' club website? We have a Breeders directory and if you drop me an email I can give members details local to you secretary@tamworthreedersclub.co.uk

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2012, 08:11:52 pm »
We are now torn between tamworths and also mangalitzas so will keep you all posted!!!  Both seem to be ideal to forage in woodland

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 09:53:19 pm »
Any traditional breed of pig should do well in woodland. It is after all what they would do naturally.

princesspiggy

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 09:56:30 pm »
mangalitzas i believe finish at 12-18mths old.
weaner prices have dropped alot in 2 years.

good luck with whatever u decide.  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 10:10:34 pm »
mangas were a fashion craze for a while  until they discovered how long you had to keep them that is why the price drop   just the same as kunnies   they used to be £150  and look at how many are free on here does not matter what breed the breeder will tell you they are the best  until you have them on the butchers block :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 10:11:15 pm »
Any traditional breed of pig should do well in woodland. It is after all what they would do naturally.

As do KKs my friend  ;)
HMM - try visiting as many breeds as you can before you decide & let us know how it goes - best wishes  :hshoe:
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS