Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Iron age pigs  (Read 23433 times)

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
Iron age pigs
« on: July 14, 2012, 06:51:20 pm »
We are looking to take on breeding herd of iron age pigs we have a dog that helps with our sheep can anyone recommend a breed of breeder who produces dogs to help with pigs?  Will need to be brave as these are related to wild boar and with 10 sows lively to have quote a few off spring to move about the place!!!!

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Re: Iron age pigs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 08:50:30 pm »
I don't thInk pigs would respond to a dog. They don't do being herded like pray species do. Also the pigs may eat the dog..... There is a breed of dog in the states used for tracking and holding wild boar- these are big mastiff types and several are used. Something like a catahulan leopard dog I think.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 08:59:18 pm »
we have a tamworth sow who actively hates dogs and is v aggressive towards them without any dominance or provacation from the dog. completely dangerous situation so she is away to slaughter next week. seeing 200kg pig attacking a dog, and the dog hiding behind u is not funny  :innocent:

iv no experience of iron age pigs but believe they are more aggressive than domestic breeds?? 10 sows is a huge commitment.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:28:45 pm »
For pigs to be herded by a dog they'd have to be scared of dogs. Pigs aren't scared of dogs.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 09:42:35 pm »
Dunno about that Hughesy, my big GSD is quite handy at herding Kunekune piglets when they squeeze through the fences  ;) :D :D :D

But I wouldn't send any dog in with a herd of iron age pigs  :-\ I think even young ones would be fairly highly strung  ??? I'm only guessing though as I've not kept them (too scary a prospect for me, with my kids  :o ::) ;)) but Robert & Lillian have, so hopefully you'll get the low down from them soon.
Karen  :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 09:50:22 pm »

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 10:43:35 pm »
well in  my opinion     your head must button up the back    not bothering if i offend or not
have you worked with iron age pigs      are you aware of what they are capable of    domesticated pigs can turn in an instant even kunnies
a piglet squealing not even one from an iron age pig and they go into defencive mode never mind a dog near them  and that was with steel fences
but go ahead get them and try them with a dog we will read about it in the papers
far better training them to the feed bucket far easier and safer for your self :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 11:00:15 pm »
10 sows is 20 litters a year.
iv only 4 sows and its quite alot of work, whether sold as weaners or finished.
my foundation gilts are all used to dogs, but if u saw Nasty Nessie attack a dog, ud understand the alarm  :o

why not consider a rare british breed? they need all the help they can get.  :) :)

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 11:15:32 pm »
princess   wild boar you need a licence   and proper fencing      iron age can be wild boar but call them iron age you need diddly squat not even intelligence     wild boar crossed with tamworth = iron age even when they are threequarter tamworth or even seven eightieths Tamworth's they are still iron age    iron age only have one litter a year   :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 11:24:00 pm »
    iron age only have one litter a year   :farmer:

i knew ud say that ... :D

is it always a tamworth cross?

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 11:28:43 pm »
to be true to form yes    but an iron age with a white saddle just would not fit the type   neither would one with piries  :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 11:30:15 pm »
to be true to form yes    but an iron age with a white saddle just would not fit the type   neither would one with piries  :farmer:

:D :D :D :D

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 12:00:31 am »
even when they are threequarter tamworth or even seven eightieths Tamworth's they are still iron age    iron age only have one litter a year   :farmer:

still only one litter a year when 75%+ tammie blood?  :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 06:45:05 am »
Back on topic... I would think you are more likely to get pigs to follow a dog than to be herded by one.  If you got them to associate the dog with being fed, they'd follow it alright!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 07:55:32 am »
Basically a dog cannot herd pigs.

As several have said, pigs are not a prey species, so do not repond to agressive stimuli as prey species do.

In nature wild boar have no natural enemies, wander round in small groups quietly in woods, and go compleltly mental if threatened. 

So a dog would not work, and at best you wouild end up with injured dog.

As others have also stated, if you do not alreday have good expertience of pigs, iron age are NOT the pig to start with, nor any pigs at the scale you are indicating - 10 sows is a lot of work, and iron age take a lot of skill in handling.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS