Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Iron age pigs  (Read 23461 times)

princesspiggy

Re: Iron age pigs
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 08:08:54 am »
where can u get ironage semen then? or r people using boars to get these crosses?

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 09:21:04 am »
princess you can not get iron age semen       what you use is tamworth over wild boar       some use a wild boar over tamworth sows     they have a tendency to take after the wild boar   plus you are workingwith a very dangerous animal       also there is not much demand for wild boar now  :farmer:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:40:03 am by robert waddell »

princesspiggy

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 09:31:54 am »
its ok, im not wanting any  :eyelashes:

just wondering, with licensing requirements etc for the wild boar, how they manage to be so many ironage pigs around. are they quite common? or is the license easy to get?

we did eat wild boar in aviemore once -  :innocent:

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 09:45:07 am »
that is the whole point of this discussion you just don't know what you are getting until it has your leg  ripped open        there is no paperwork with them as to the parentage     what the seller tells you is what you believe    AND IRON AGE IS ONLY A DODGE TO GET ROUND THE WILD BOAR LICENCE :farmer:

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 10:52:23 am »
I would seriously think hard about iron age your only going to have a small market for selling and the work load is enormous, ive worked with wild boar before and you seriously need 3 or 4 pairs of eyes!!!!!!!! i'd personally start with old spots or oxfords they are much more manageable and docile and you would'nt need a dog!!!!

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 11:10:53 am »
Thanks for all the posts as ever.  We are not new to pigs we have done GOS we have 5 acres of woodland that wouldn't be used otherwise and properly fenced with stock fencing with electric inside.  It was only a question about dogs as I have seen them used in the states.

I would suggest that any livestock has to be treated carefully a domesticated bull can have a bad day!

We are growing a speciality meat business from farm gate to plate and these would be a welcome addition however I do need to know if ironage truly only breed once a year.  We do need 2 litters a year to ensure availability year round.

If anyone knows the right answer please post.

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 11:24:01 am »
that is something you will have to find out yourself    we had two sisters one did breed quite consistently the other was only once a year         GOS are puppy's compared to pit bulls     you will need the fence buried in the ground also 10 sows x10 piglets a litter or maybe only 4 x by 2 litters a year = 210 pigs and they don't mature like GOS it is a year to 18 months to get that gamey flavour
but what would i know  :farmer:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 11:28:56 am »
so that would mean keeping more than 200 odd pigs for a year, BEFORE any went to slaughter. wow. at 100kg each thats 20 000 kg of pork to shift. goodness me.

HappyHippy

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 11:46:07 am »
Here's a link to someone who has had iron age and now keeps pure wild boar
http://www.wildfarming.co.uk/Wild%20Boar/wboar.htm

I see on their site the litters they have are normally 4-6 (that is for pure wild boar) but no mention of how many litters per year  :-\ It would be worth sending them a quick email to ask what their experiences are too - the more info you have the better  :thumbsup:
I've also sent a message to someone I know that keeps Iron Age, so will let you know if I hear anything back from them. You're a braver woman than me  ;)
Karen  :wave:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 12:01:52 pm »
You'll save yourself a fortune in BPA subs too ;D ;D ;D ;D

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 12:18:03 pm »
We were originally looking for tamworths but couldn't find any within a reasonable distance at a reasonable cost.  I could go to a pig sale but you don't know what you are getting there either!

robert waddell

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 12:26:06 pm »
going by the site Karen flagged up you will be cheaper with normal pigs and safer    where are you anyway
just because you don't see pigs that does not mean there are none in your area
the country is awash with pigs  :farmer:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 12:28:27 pm »
Where do you come from horsemadmummy?   If you change your mind and decide on Tamworths I have some delightful ones available, currently 7 weeks and 16 weeks.   I live in Hampshire - Tamsaddle

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 12:34:30 pm »
We are in Devon we do need to get up and breeding this year to justify the investment in making the woodland pig proof!!!  However anyone I have approached has wanted more than 200 a sow or boar.  When I sold s GOS sow recently I had to take her to a sale as I had no takers for her here!  She only fetched 80 after commission !

robert waddell

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 12:42:49 pm »
that is the sad thing about pig breeding you want some they cost a fortune you are selling and nobody wants them an in pig gilt is worth the £250  or thereabout  especially if pedigree the same as boars
was that an old sow going for killing    if it was  you were robed it is worth at least double going to the cast sow trade :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS