Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: DOG ATTACK UPDATE  (Read 11701 times)

kitchen cottage

Re: DOG ATTACK UPDATE
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 06:17:33 pm »
would he be happier if he had another sheep in with him? He can't see them now so will have separation anxiety.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 06:28:42 pm »
Sorry ..... not much sheep keeping experience. Not sure.  ???

We had to bring a ewe lamb with an abscess in for a while and we brought in mum and twin as well. We weren't sure what was best but thought that she may not be completely weaned and also she was really unsettled and really yelling for the others. Thought it was less stressful for her, mum and twin if they were at least together. She wasn't actually ill or that down though.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 07:14:47 pm »
Yes, fingers crossed for him  :fc:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

kitchen cottage

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 09:32:39 pm »
I've put another sheep in with it (these are hand reared orphan lambs so very friendly and bonded to each other).  I've put more disinfectant and citronella on the wounds, which look quite good now.

He's happier with another sheep in there, he ate his dinner and some grated apple.  Didn't seem to like tesco value ginger nuts though!  He's obviously in pain though when he is laying down.

Definitely did need pain relief and I've the injections for tomorrow and Sunday.

Unless he takes a turn for the worse tomorrow, he's done really well for 36 hours after a very vicious attack.

:fc: :fc:   Long day with work, vets, animals and picking up pigs.  I've still got to cut up the Tammy's for the freezer. 

Ah well, better than veggingin front of the TV ;)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 09:41:19 pm »
It took a good few hours for my sheep who needed analgesia due to a very bad lambing to begin to get comfortable but it does get there in the end. I would think you will see a marked difference tomorrow when both drugs have kicked in. Don't be afraid to ask for more of she isn't right as rain on Monday. I think Tarragon (my sheepie)[size=78%] [/size]had 3mls of finadyne daily for 6 days before she could manage without.
Also you can feed her willow alongside her meds too as that has both pain killing and anti inflammatory properties :thumbsup:

Well done hun, we are the only ones who can advocate for our animals, and for too long large farm animals have been left by the wayside when it comes to pain relief. She will be feeling much better soon I'm sure.

Keep a very close watch for flies, they are little b*******s for getting into wounds ::)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2012, 10:28:32 pm »
I've read this thread with interest and those of you who've followed my contributions will know I am in the camp of 'shoot the dogs now !'
But I can also see the fairness of this sheeps owner in not wanting to land a large vets bill on the dog owners, very commendable. :thumbsup:
My vet gave a'b's to a lamb of mine which subsequently died, next time I was in I was ready to play hell, I asked how much the bill was going to be. It rather took the wind out of my sails to be told it was £2.06 for the consultation and the injection.
So in this case I'd encourage anyone to shoot the dog and don't worry about the vets bill.  ;D ;D
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

kitchen cottage

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2012, 10:43:28 pm »
I fully intend to charge this animal owners for my vet bills.  What I didn't want to do is make a decision other than that which I would if I was paying.

In fact, I should have called the vet yesterday because the extent of the wound was hidden.  Hopefully this will be okay  :fc: :fc:  and if it is, it won't go to slaughter (nor will its playmate) because its suffered enough..... I am a RUBBISH farmer ;)

One dog has been recaptured, according to my neighbours it isn't the one that attacked.

I think she will balk at paying my vets bill.... but she will have to.

I will also be speaking to the police to make sure they understand the extent of the injury to my sheep....

I feel sorry for the woman but she keeps an alsatian and a sharpi/alsatian cross... she must know they have the potential for damage.

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2012, 10:49:04 pm »
So glad your lamb now has antibiotics etc. Sounds like your doing your very best. Hard to look after poorly sheep whilst trying to earn a living. Agree with colliewoman - do re-speak to vet if things dont improve.
Sheep

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2012, 11:05:59 pm »
Hope lamb is doing well  :fc:

One dog has been recaptured, according to my neighbours it isn't the one that attacked.

If her dogs had been trained AT ALL they wouldn't still be at large after all this time - I think the owner needs a wake up call - any dog needs to be trained and if she can't be bothered she shouldn't have dogs - and certainly not GSD or similar.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS