Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: DOG ATTACK UPDATE  (Read 11702 times)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
Re: DOG ATTACK UPDATE
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 08:59:51 pm »
A bit of tea tree or citronella may be more effective at keeping the flies off than purple spray and wound powder. Battles Green Oils is pretty rock 'n' roll too!  :thumbsup:
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 09:01:52 pm »
Please call the vet, you have said she is in pain, also what is lurking underneath the skin that is sealing up?  Any of my sheep would have been treated for a lot less.
Sheep

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 09:03:24 pm »
Umm painkillers are not just for the pain. Ok it's a pain it can cope with, but inflammation delays wound healing, so it will be better and putting in weight like it should much quicker with adequate pain control. I don't mean this specifically at your vet, but many large animal vets (and small animal vets for that matter) are not great at pain control. Anyone seen a calf castrate or disbudding? a bleb of local and then slash is not good enough- local takes 15-20 mins to work!

Now I'm not bunny hugging by any means but adequate pain control is essential. Have been nipped and badly bitten plenty of times, it's the non puncture ends that hurt the worst!

Bloody dogs- mine are not allowed off theead on our land as have no idea what they would do! Also always walk them on the lead on any publi foot paths as you just don't know where there are livestock.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 09:06:09 pm »
Anyone seen a calf castrate or disbudding? a bleb of local and then slash is not good enough- local takes 15-20 mins to work!

I haven't actually seen it, but I have HEARD it.... sounds monstrous!

kitchen cottage

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 09:14:33 pm »
I've texted the vet, who is young and trying to build a large animal practice so very helpful.  I'll see what she says but if the sheep needs antibiotics and pain relief it will have it.  Poor sheep, orrible day for it and now its raining.  I have citronella and Tea tree oil so I'll use them.  I am a BIG citronella fan!

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 09:24:59 pm »
  I have citronella and Tea tree oil so I'll use them.  I am a BIG citronella fan!
Me too...Barrier Blowfly Repel spray is one of my favourite products ever. Or Battles maggot oil! And the Maggot Oil is soothing :o)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 09:49:14 am »
How's Lamby this morning?

kitchen cottage

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 10:21:24 am »
The vet is  coming after 12.  I took on board what was said about pain relief and want him to have some.  Off to take photos of the injury.  Turns out these are "deterrent" dogs from a pub so quite how that matches with them being softies I am not sure of. 

I only had a mobile which was turned off, but they posted details on "lostdogs" so have been able to trace her.

She now says it might not have been her dogs but.... fortuitously they posted piccies on lost dogs which I've saved and shown my neighbour.

Good luck with her trying to duck my vets bill, I'm a solicitor and in the right, I've got more stamina than her for this I suspect.

I am sure lamby will be fine but its not nice for him now >:(   What treats can you give lambs?  He certainly liked the maple syrup water yesterday?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 11:09:19 am »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
you go get 'em!!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 12:19:58 pm »
Some owners will keep trying to deny responsibility not so much because they are worried about the vet bill liability but worry that if they admit it was their dogs then dogs will be taken away and PTS.
Now I know lots of people will say 'yes and that would be perfectly fair' and I have some sympathy with that, but I do understand it in a scenario where in a one off the dogs get out eg let out by vandals or something like that.
If you are happy that the dogs are not PTS on this occasion (obviously they wont get a second chance if they ever did it again), it might be helpful to talk to the owners either directly or through sols, to clarify that if the direct expenses relating to the lamb (and the compensation  for your time and trauma I would have thought!) were to be met in full, you will not be instigating any further action. I say instigating because of course the police might suddenly decide to get excited about it and pursue it themselves.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 03:50:13 pm »
Well done!  :thumbsup:

Mine are very partial to a gingernut biscuit ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

kitchen cottage

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 06:03:08 pm »
Poor lamby isn't feeling very well at all.  He's seen the vet, she's cleaned the wounds and given antibiotics and painkillers...she's left me with injections for the next few days.  He's got a bit of a temperature, but was fine until about two hours ago when he sat down and started grinding his teeth a bit.  He ate about 2 hours ago.  I've put him in my cart lodge to keep his wound clean, he had flies on it and they all had to be cleaned out.   I am wondering whether I should put another lamb in with him for company. she's said if he survives the weekend he should be fine.  I was confident earlier but in the last couple of hours he seems less happy.  The vet did mess him about so he's had two hard days in a row :fc: :fc: :( :( :( :sheep:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 06:08:39 pm »
Poor little thing, teeth grinding is a sign of pain  :-\   Temperature usually =infection. |Fingers crossed for him
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 06:10:57 pm »
Oh no .......  :fc:  for the poor lad.

Sorry that your vet didn't get the antibiotics and painkillers to you when you first asked for her advice.   >:(
Hopefully he'll pick up now.

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 06:14:55 pm »
fingers crossed that tomorrow is a better day for the wee man  :fc:
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS