Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: DOG ATTACK UPDATE  (Read 11683 times)

kitchen cottage

DOG ATTACK UPDATE
« on: July 12, 2012, 04:12:41 pm »
The owners turned up!! Their dogs escaped 24 hours ago and they are trying to track them down.  They did allthe "I can't believe it, they are so soft" stuff, but ultimately its been reported to the police and I hope they get prosecuted.  The dogs were last seen on the A414 about 3 miles away.... which is a very busy road.

The sheep is up and eating  but miserable.  i've been putting on spray every couple of hours to keep the flies off....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: DOG ATTACK UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:41:29 pm »
Lambie will be pretty sore.  You could ask the vet for anti-inflammatories and painkillers - hopefully they'll let you have some so you can inject it yourself, or you could take the lamb to the surgery.  You'll be sending the bill to the dogs' owners, anyway. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:00:02 pm »
with a bit of luck they will be  wiped out on the A414 just as long as they don't cause a pile up and humane life's lost :farmer:

kitchen cottage

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 05:07:42 pm »
I don't think I need the vet, amanda, who lives in my granny flat, is a nurse and we'll give another good clean tonight. 

I'll evaluate again tomorrow but my concern is keeping the flies off and I hope purple spray and wound powder will do that.

I know I can get her to pay for the vet but, I won't call unless I feel I really need her.

I am surprised how LITTLE sympathy I felt, they weren't irresponsible, the dogs escaped they weren't let loose  but she could see the sheep with holes in it and she still didn't understand that her dog was a dog that would attack.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 06:11:39 pm »
Kitchen Cottage, what has happened is terrible but in defense of the owners their dogs may be angels at home but once dogs get out, and 2 together is worse than 1 on their own, see something run and nature takes over.
My own dog is a poodle, albeit a 10 month old puppy, and not at all like the breeds that hurt your sheep, but when he sees the hens or the sheep run he wants to join in (he is always on the lead). I am sure his intentions are just to have a game but I wouldn't trust him an inch.
So if the owners haven't seen how their dogs react around animals when loose they may well think they wouldn't hurt a fly. 
Don't think for one minute I condone what they did because I don't but maybe I can understand where they are coming from.
Just another perspective on it.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 06:12:39 pm »
 :bouquet:  Hope your poor lamb recovers quickly.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 06:14:49 pm »
My sister had a dog that worried sheep and attacked a flock TWICE.... I cannot believe she didn't learn the first time! Basically, he put mucky feet on her wood floors and sometimes shook near her Laura Ashley soft furnishings (oh the crime!!!) so she would leave him out in the garden but her kids and the neighbours would forget to shut the gate.  The second time the farmer called the police and she had to pay the price of 5 ewes... strangely enough after she had to get her purse out the dog didn't get out again! Luckily for everyone he went to a lovely livestock-less rural cottage in middle-of-nowhere Wales.
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 06:27:29 pm »
I don't think I need the vet, amanda, who lives in my granny flat, is a nurse and we'll give another good clean tonight. 

You said it was sore.  In order to reduce its suffering, it would benefit from anti-inflammatories and pain-killers - unless Amanda can administer those for you?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kitchen cottage

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 06:51:11 pm »
Its weight bearing on its leg, it has a limp.  Its grazing and eating its ewe nuts.  I don't think it is too distressed.

I don't want to over react and call the vet when its not necessary. It does seem to be coping well.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 07:25:09 pm »
I hope you got the address where the dog owner lives, because that is where to send the vet bill. so do the right thing for the lamb and get some antibiotics and anti inflamitary into it now before it turns really bad. make them pay for the trouble they caused.
I would have presented her with 2 dead dogs along with the bill. >:(

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 07:31:36 pm »
Take it from me, a dog bite is bloody agony, your vet should be able to dispense a shot of finadyne for you to collect.

Please let her have some pain relief, there are no doubts she will be sore and the quicker she is pain free the quicker she can recuperate.
I was going to leave it at that but I can't, sorry.

A sheep is a prey animal by the time it is showing ANY symptoms of discomfort it is pain. Dog bites are ragged lacerations with deep puncture wounds, liable to become infected within hours.
If you had such a wound on yourself would you leave it and not make a fuss?

The fact she is baring weight on it is no indication that she is not in pain, more a marvel of a species who after being attacked by a pack of dogs will not be left behind the flock.

You have a duty of care under the animal welfare act, and I hope for your sheep's sake you get her some meds.

You won't even have to pay for them, the dog's owner will pay it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:37:59 pm by colliewoman »
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 08:28:43 pm »
Jesus, ask the vet to prescribe some A/Bs and painkillers - they will leave them at the front desk, or get the vet out and present the owners with the bill!

kitchen cottage

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 08:31:01 pm »
Erm. I HAVE spoken to my vet this morning and sent her a photo of the wound.  She is very helpful and suggested we leave it until tomorrow, unless the lamb deteriorated.  I've just cleaned the wounds again.  The hind and leg are now scabbed over, the face isn't but I suspect will do tomorrow.  I've given it an antiseptic wash. some antiseptic and then wound powder.  He competed for his food tonight.  He doesn't look happy but isn't anywhere near as bad as I expected (especially since I've now been told he wasn't moving for a while).

I'll ring the vet again tomorrow, but I have already taken her advice.

Della

deepinthewoods

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 08:41:38 pm »
thats is basically missing the point.
that animal is in pain.
you  could and SHOULD sort that out.

kitchen cottage

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 08:44:56 pm »
Erm, my vet is the person whom I take advice from in these circs.  I also spoke to the manager of my city farm who said the same thing.    I'm not afraid of the bill, whoever pays, but I trust her judgement and she didn't think it necessary today, nor do I, because whilst the lamb will be in some pain, it doesn't seem to be suffering unduly, its grazing, eating and the wound is sealing.  I'll do what the vet suggested and call her tomorrow. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS